Full Sized Cans, Check! It's time for IEMs (Audeo PFE, Nuforce NE-7M, or Etymotic hf2)?
Jan 26, 2009 at 1:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

broodwich

Head-Fier
Okay so back at Christmas time I got a new set of Full Sized cans to replace my aging AKG K 141s. I did a bunch of research and a lot of reading of posts here at Head-Fi before I decided on what I wanted. I ended up with the Audio Technica ATH-AD700s and I am happy with them.

Now it's time for some real IEMs for use with my iPhone 3G. I want something comfortable and it has to have a Microphone and a button to control the various iPhone functions like the included junk earbuds.

I have narrowed my search to these three models, all of which meet my criteria of controlling the iPhone...

Nuforce NE-7M - $50.00
Phonak Audeo PFE w/ Mic - $160.00
Etymotic Research hf2 - $180.00

My question is, are the Audeo PFEs or the Etymotic hf2s worth the extra cost. At $160 and $180 the Phonak and Etys are over three times the cost of the Nuforces. Also at those prices the Phonak and Etys are more than I spent on the Audio Technicas.

I know, I know, "Sorry about your wallet." Right?

A lot of people have good things to say about the Phonak and the Nuforces. I have spent a lot of time reading some long threads on each. There hasn't been as much talk about the Ety hf2s but there has been some positive talk about the hf5 and these are reported to be the same thing as the hf2, minus the microphone.

Anyone have thoughts comparing the Phonaks or the Etys to the Nuforces? I would be happy to spend the money but I don't want to be throwing it away either. I won't spend the money for the Klipsch Image X10s or the Westone 3s, at least not today. So I can't really see spending more than about $150 on these IEMs.

Do the Phonaks sound that much ($110 more) better than the Nuforces?

Jan 26, 2009 at 2:15 AM Post #2 of 16
I owned the NuForce 7s (recently sold them) and liked them fine, but they just didn't fit into my plans (bought them on an impulse). I also own the Audeos, and I am keeping them. I bought the non-iPhone/Touch version, but use them anyway with one of those mic/clicker adapters. Are the Phonaks worth $100 more than the 7s? Tough question. I favor the more transparent, mid/high sound of the Audeos over the more bass-heavy 7 sound. Also, I paid $94 for the Audeos, long story, so it was not 3x as much.

Depends on your preference. If "featured" bass is important, then try the NuForce and save $$$. If mids/highs mean more, then maybe the Phonaks will work for you.

Can't speak for the Etys. A friend owns them, and likes them. But he likes them more now that I gave him some olives. He was using the tri-flange.

Anyway, Larry, aka Headphoneaddict, has some direct comparison comments on the NuForce and the Phonaks. I'd read those again if you missed them.

Jan 26, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #3 of 16
The Ne-7M are good for the price but are not very accurate. I returned my Ne-7M because their mid bass bloat colored vocals to the point that the singer sounded off, albeit slightly (not a deal breaker at the price point).

The others on your list have accuracy on their side.Since you can afford $160 I'd highly recommend the Phonak. But if you are comparing the Ne-7M to the Phonak PFE; IMO they are not very close performance wise. Although some might differ in opinion.

I also find the Phonak far more comfortable than any other IEM I have owned. The are extremely light and you forget you have them on.

People have been comparing the PFE to Ie8 and Westone 3s and find that they hold their own very well. I like them over my Shure SCL4 which retail for $250.

If you really only want to spend $50 the Ne-7m is a good pick.

Jan 26, 2009 at 7:51 AM Post #4 of 16
I own the Phonak Audeo PFEs and the NE-7 (as do/did tstarn06 and oarnura).

I think the NE-7s are pretty good for $50 after 100+ hours of burn in. The bass is deep and there is plenty of it! I personally still like them, but the PFE is a large step up in my opinion. Worth $110 more, that is subjective.

I am currently trying to decide what I like better, my IE8 or my PFE. So far, it depends upon the song (but I think the IE8s need some more burn in)!

I can't recall anyone comparing the hf2 to the NE-7 or PFE. While the hf2 isn't on this chart, I think it speaks volumes about how good the PFE is.

If I had it all to do over again and get only 1 IEM, it would be the PFE.

And if it still works, there is a SAVE10 code for 10% off the PFEs.

Jan 26, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #5 of 16
The work that dfkt and HeadphoneAddict have put in reviewing the IEMs in question is great in both quantity and quality. I really appreciate their contributions to this forum. I must have missed Larry's direct comparison between the Audeo and the Nuforce. I'll have to search for that.

I think at this point I am going to discount the Etys because the Audeo PFEs have so many positive comments. Also because the Etys are yet another $20 more and the Audeos seem better accessorized. So now it's down to the Nuforce and the Audeos.

I don't want to purchase yet another pair of mediocre IEMs. I want something nice that won't have me looking for an upgrade in two months. That's why I am willing to spend more for the Audeos if necessary.

I like Bass but I want accuracy. As a mobile DJ I listen to all types of music to keep myself as up-to-date as possible. When I am listening for my own personal pleasure, it's still quite a mix of music. Some of my favorite generas/styles include vocal jazz (mainly female vocalists), progressive rock (Queensryche and Dream Theater are both in my top ten bands), good old fashioned Rock. However, my top rated tracks include Country, R&B, Hip-Hop, Electronic, and others. I think I'll be fine if the bass is a tad anemic so long as it exists and the sound that's delivered is closer to neutral. There's nothing wrong with some good 808s from time to time, I'll test my subwoofer once in a while with some Techmaster, but I won't be too disappointed if some IEMs can't keep up.

Jan 26, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #6 of 16
To me, it's no contest between the NuForce and the PFEs, with the Phonaks the much better phone, and much more comfortable as well for long-term wear. Plus, if you like the silicone tips, no extra cost (no reason to buy Complys). If you want accurate bass, then it's a no brainer, the NuForce phones, while okay, are not in the same league as the PFEs when it comes to transparency, detail, accurate bass, etc. If those two phones are your final two choices, then the PFEs are the better option. There are some who didn't like the 7s at all, but so far, not a single naysayer on the PFEs. I used the black filter, then moved to the gray, but I am going to back to black (more bottom end).

Quote:

Originally Posted by broodwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The work that dfkt and HeadphoneAddict have put in reviewing the IEMs in question is great in both quantity and quality. I really appreciate their contributions to this forum. I must have missed Larry's direct comparison between the Audeo and the Nuforce. I'll have to search for that.

I think at this point I am going to discount the Etys because the Audeo PFEs have so many positive comments. Also because the Etys are yet another $20 more and the Audeos seem better accessorized. So now it's down to the Nuforce and the Audeos.

I don't want to purchase yet another pair of mediocre IEMs. I want something nice that won't have me looking for an upgrade in two months. That's why I am willing to spend more for the Audeos if necessary.

I like Bass but I want accuracy. As a mobile DJ I listen to all types of music to keep myself as up-to-date as possible. When I am listening for my own personal pleasure, it's still quite a mix of music. Some of my favorite generas/styles include vocal jazz (mainly female vocalists), progressive rock (Queensryche and Dream Theater are both in my top ten bands), good old fashioned Rock. However, my top rated tracks include Country, R&B, Hip-Hop, Electronic, and others. I think I'll be fine if the bass is a tad anemic so long as it exists and the sound that's delivered is closer to neutral. There's nothing wrong with some good 808s from time to time, I'll test my subwoofer once in a while with some Techmaster, but I won't be too disappointed if some IEMs can't keep up.

Jan 27, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To me, it's no contest between the NuForce and the PFEs, with the Phonaks the much better phone, and much more comfortable as well for long-term wear. Plus, if you like the silicone tips, no extra cost (no reason to buy Complys). If you want accurate bass, then it's a no brainer, the NuForce phones, while okay, are not in the same league as the PFEs when it comes to transparency, detail, accurate bass, etc. If those two phones are your final two choices, then the PFEs are the better option. There are some who didn't like the 7s at all, but so far, not a single naysayer on the PFEs. I used the black filter, then moved to the gray, but I am going to back to black (more bottom end).

I agree with Tstarn the Phonaks are in a different league then the Nuforce,
Etymotic Research hf2. I heard the N's before did not care too much for them clarity, bass wise. Never heard Hf2's but I heard something about the mids being nonexistent compared to the Shure530's. Anyhow, I own the Phonak's as well as the Shure's, a friend owns the Westone 3's. The Phonak are in there own league The Phonak extends well beyond the Westones 3's without the added fatuige the 3's add. The Phonaks extend lower then the Shure's and the Westone 3s. I got the Shures about 2 weeks ago haven't even talked about them because I sent them back and kept the Phonaks.

Reason why I bring the Shures, and Westone's up is because I'm sure you've heard the hype. If I’m comparing the Phonaks to them then they can hold there own. These are negative to me seeing as I don't prefer much of either but not to down the Westone's or the Shure's. The Westones and Shures both have more bass, quanity.....They are both extremely louder. Meaning you won't have to turn your player up to far with them. With the Phonaks I had to go about halfway up on the volume.

The Westones and Shures also have a longer cord. Both provide more isolation unless you’re using Shure Comply's, or the preferred Black Olives. All in all the Nuforce loses, the Westone, and the Shure some what hold there own but don't best the detail and clarity of the Phonaks. Therefore Phonaks for me is the winner.

Remember I sold the Shures
atsmile.gif
. Also the Phonaks won the editors award over at Anythingbutipod.com they replaced the q-jays. On the spreadsheet they come right under the 1150$ UE11's. That speaks volumes; they come right over the Shures. The Phonak are in there own league you must hear to believe.

Upon hearing the Phonak you will experience Clairty, Detail, and precision. Your choice at the end of the day, decide.

Jan 28, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #10 of 16
Thanks again to ^^ these ^^ people.
biggrin.gif
I took a look at the reviews on the hf2 and the one on the hf5 I had already seen. I think I'm going to become an owner of the Phonaks soon. This forum is full of great people willing to help convince you to spend your money. It's the Head-Fi economic stimulus program.

Jan 28, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #11 of 16
SF5 vi ..

it looks exactly like SF5 version 2..but it has the microphone.

if it sounds like SF5 V2 ..then its worth getting

Jan 28, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #12 of 16
Well, I owned the SF5 v2, and sent them back in a week. No comparison between the UEs and the Phonaks, really. I believe I can say that because I owned them both. The UEs sounded thin, boring. Not the case with the PFEs. Just my two cents on that comparo. Not to be nasty, either. Just being objective based on my ears.

Jan 28, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #13 of 16
As an owner of the W3s, I tend to agree here. I keep comparing the W3s with the PFEs, track for track, genre for genre, amped vs. unamped. And I keep finding my ears happier when I switch back to the PFEs. I am not giving up on the W3s. I had moved to the modded tri-flange, but felt it was overemphasizing the bass (while taming any harshness). Too veiled for my tastes (needed to EQ the mids and highs way to much). Now, I am using the yellow Shure foamies, and I prefer that tip/sound, but the harshness creeps in here and there. Some tracks sound fantastic, others not so hot.

When all is said and done, and I stick the PFEs back into my ears, the smooth, clear sound sig, with plenty of accurate, honest bass for my tastes, grabs me right away. I am starting to feel that the Phonaks, especially amped with a quality amp, are becoming the best IEMs I have ever heard. And, trust me, I have owned most of the mid-priced models out there (not the TF10s, IE8s or SE530s, however) in my search for, in my view, the perfect reasonably priced IEM (as I have noted, I got the W3s very cheap relatively speaking).

Overstating the PFE case? Maybe. But I just love the sound. And it seems to really be growing on me. Phonak, despite their very unsexy company name, has really nailed it with the PFE.

It will be interesting to see if more experienced head-fi'ers start to listen to them, review them, etc. I am still waiting for the negatives, but so far, it's not happened. I know Larry, HPAddict, prefers his W3s to the PFEs, but he also has the UM56 custom sleeves for his Westones. Anyway, enough rambling. The OP really should try the PFEs, and Phonak offers a 14-day MBG.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Confispect /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with Tstarn the Phonaks are in a different league then the Nuforce,
Etymotic Research hf2. I heard the N's before did not care too much for them clarity, bass wise. Never heard Hf2's but I heard something about the mids being nonexistent compared to the Shure530's. Anyhow, I own the Phonak's as well as the Shure's, a friend owns the Westone 3's. The Phonak are in there own league The Phonak extends well beyond the Westones 3's without the added fatuige the 3's add. The Phonaks extend lower then the Shure's and the Westone 3s. I got the Shures about 2 weeks ago haven't even talked about them because I sent them back and kept the Phonaks.

Reason why I bring the Shures, and Westone's up is because I'm sure you've heard the hype. If I’m comparing the Phonaks to them then they can hold there own. These are negative to me seeing as I don't prefer much of either but not to down the Westone's or the Shure's. The Westones and Shures both have more bass, quanity.....They are both extremely louder. Meaning you won't have to turn your player up to far with them. With the Phonaks I had to go about halfway up on the volume.

The Westones and Shures also have a longer cord. Both provide more isolation unless you’re using Shure Comply's, or the preferred Black Olives. All in all the Nuforce loses, the Westone, and the Shure some what hold there own but don't best the detail and clarity of the Phonaks. Therefore Phonaks for me is the winner.

Remember I sold the Shures
atsmile.gif
. Also the Phonaks won the editors award over at Anythingbutipod.com they replaced the q-jays. On the spreadsheet they come right under the 1150$ UE11's. That speaks volumes; they come right over the Shures. The Phonak are in there own league you must hear to believe.

Upon hearing the Phonak you will experience Clairty, Detail, and precision. Your choice at the end of the day, decide.

Jan 28, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

x2

Jan 28, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Confispect /img/forum/go_quote.gif

skipped.....
Meaning you won't have to turn your player up to far with them. With the Phonaks I had to go about halfway up on the volume.

I find that to be the case with the Black fiters. If I switch to the black filters from the Grey filter the mids an highs are too recessed. So I find my self turning up the volume to hear them which bring the bass up the same number of dbs.

The reason you get more bass from the black filters is because the mids and highs are recessed by the filter. Look at the frequency response graphs on audeoworld. To get the same db for the mids and highs you need to jack the volume up.

I use the grey filters and don't need much more volume on my iPhone 3G than the Shures(which are very efficient). So you could EQ the bass to be higher with the Grey filters and you wouldn't need to turn the volume up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back