Full size, wireless, noise cancelling headphones
Mar 21, 2010 at 10:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

tomscrace

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I am looking for some headphones to wear around the house when doing chores etc. I will mainly be using them to listen to spoken audio content (podcasts, audio books etc). I have some wired Sennheisers I use for listening to music, so I don't need them to be audiophile quality, just listenable. What I do need, and what I have been unable to find, is a set of cans that are wireless *and* noise cancelling. I would also like them to be rechargeable (ideally with some kind of 'dock') and of the full size 'around the ear' type.

In summary I would like them do have the following features:

- Wireless
- Full size, around the ear
- Noise cancelling
- Decent sound quality (not necessarily audiophile grade)
- Rechargeable (without changing batteries)

I would be willing to pay £200/£300 for these.

If anybody can point me in the right direction I would be really grateful.

Thanks!

Tom

Mar 21, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #2 of 5
Why don't you try a Sansa Clip+ MP3 player? That can literally clip onto the headphones because it's so small, giving you much the same result as wireless.

In general, Wireless and Noise Cancelling are, eh, contentious topics around these parts...

Mar 21, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the suggestion bcpk, but I am looking for something I can use with either my computer or my iphone. Also, part of the point for me is to eliminate annoying cables when I am moving around, so even the Sansa would not fit the bill.

In general I understand the antipathy towards wireless and noise cancelling stuff, but for just listening to podcasts/recorded lectures etc I think the quality will be sufficient. I have other gear to listen to music.

Mar 21, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #4 of 5
Fair enough. You may struggle to find something with both of those technologies though, as both are using up the battery. Something with good passive isolation might be your best bet, like the Sennheiser MM 400.

The MM 450 purport to offer both wireless (Bluetooth 2.1) and ANC, but they are at the top end of your pricerange and look to be difficult to obtain.

Mar 22, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #5 of 5
Ah ha! The MM 450s look almost perfect. The price doesn't bother me too much, and they seem to be available from the Apple store, so hopefully I will be able to get them from there.

I will look around a bit more to make sure nothing else better is out there, but I think these might be the solution.

Thanks very much for your help!

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back