Full-size that sounds the same as E4c?
May 5, 2007 at 4:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

oli84

100+ Head-Fier
I'm wondering if there are any headphones that sound like the E4c?

I'm comparing them right now to my MS1 and I still prefer the E4C sound sig, but just by a little. It's fuller and richer-sounding, although missing those highly regarded highs that MS1s have.

May 5, 2007 at 6:18 PM Post #2 of 14
'Full-size' headphones can't sound like IEM's. That's obviously mostly bcz of the size of the driver. The driver is also in the different place...

May 5, 2007 at 6:23 PM Post #3 of 14
Of the headphones I've tried, the K501 and the HD580 have come closest to the E4C's basic sound signature (yes, I too am a big fan of the E4C). The only real difference is the soundstage, and the headphones both have a MUCH larger soundstage, which will also change how you perceive the sound. Thus it will be very difficult to find a headphone that sounds exactly the same as any IEM.

May 5, 2007 at 6:26 PM Post #4 of 14
try out the sennheiser hd6x0. i think they sound like a much better version of the shure iems. the shure iems sound REALLY REALLY veiled in comparison with recessed mids and even more treble rolloff.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferros /img/forum/go_quote.gif
'Full-size' headphones can't sound like IEM's. That's obviously mostly bcz of the size of the driver. The driver is also in the different place...

oh, no, no one knew that the driver was different. two different implementations of sound reproduction can sound similar. it's like saying "no, you can only hear that violin on a pair of speakers, headphones cannot possibly reproduce this instrument's sound". doesn't make much sense, does it?

EDIT: i guess the k501 is similar too. i didn't own the k501 when i had the e4c.

May 5, 2007 at 6:48 PM Post #5 of 14
Shure IEMs with recessed mids? I'd say that mids is the strongest aspect of Shures (e3c and e4c anyway) and that the highs are very recessed and bass is slightly lacking.

May 5, 2007 at 7:17 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJShadow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shure IEMs with recessed mids? I'd say that mids is the strongest aspect of Shures (e3c and e4c anyway) and that the highs are very recessed and bass is slightly lacking.

I can only agree with this. The mids stand out more than anything else on the e4c's.

May 5, 2007 at 10:15 PM Post #8 of 14
The E4Cs have slightly boosted lower mids and rolled off upper mids, giving them a very smooth, slightly thick sound.

The outer ear naturally boosts the upper midrange, around 2 to 7kHz. (Roughly). Inserting an IEM bypasses this mechanism, although resonances can be introduced by the ear canal. (When using my ER4s, mine was roughly around +5db at 6kHz in both ears. EQing it out drastically improved the quality of the sound.)

May 6, 2007 at 12:50 AM Post #11 of 14
Thanks for the responses. Getting a similar soundstage isn't as important to me as getting the sound signature right. To my ears, E4c's are fuller and more pleasing sounding than the other headphones I have used.

May 7, 2007 at 5:50 PM Post #14 of 14
I heartily disagree. There is no Grado that is even half as dark as any Shure IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back