Full size replacements for Shure E2c
Apr 16, 2010 at 7:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

tkimages

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

Hoping you can help me. I've used headphones on and off for many years mainly off) but since getting an ipod I've used them a lot. I eventually settled on Shure E2c in ear 'phones after recommendation rather than listening, after being disappointed with the much pushed cheap (£20 ish) Senheissers at the time. I really like the E2cs, but I'm now finding the whole in ear thing a bit of a pain and I'm looking to add to the Shures with full size 'phones that have a similar tonal balance. The new 'phones may be used with the ipod, but will certainly be used with the main hi-fi for extended late listening.

I'm asking for help as it is near impossible to try out headphones (Health & Safety I'm constantly told) and the Senheisser HD238s that I bought are too bassy/muddled compared to the E2cs.

I don't mind open 'phones, in fact would prefer them, any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Cost, £200 max, but would prefer nearer £150.

Apr 17, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #4 of 6
SR60 srpings to mind, although the SR60i now addressed much of hte problems with the original (cheap cable and too much sybillance). They won't sound exactly alike, but similar enough. My SCL2 (replacement model after some copyright suit about using "E" in their product name) has almost the same mids impact when I get the tip size right, although this was comparing them while listening in a quiet but outdoor venue. So basically using hte SR60i indoors would make it better in a lot of ways, but the IEM design of the SCL2 has its benefits outdoors. My Creative Zen can drive them both well, the 5g iPod gets better treble unamped but after a while you might notice the low end lacks energy vs the Zen. My Icon Mobile though helps make the most out of hte 5g's Wolfson DAC with the line out, but overall the highs roll off a bit early, though it's not immediately noticeable. You can't get the same sound in a public place though.

For just another $30 though, get the SR80i. Upper midrange is a bit warmer but that makes it more forgiving of mobile devices without being that much harder to drive.

Apr 18, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #6 of 6
I've been thinking about the HD555 and HD595 but I'm worried that if they sound like the HD238s then I wont like them. However, if they are a little more open, less 'wooly' then they might suit.

My music taste is quite broad, Rock, Jazz, Classical and anything that else that I like, like most people really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back