Full size/no amp
Apr 7, 2010 at 9:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

mysticstryk

Headphoneus Supremus
In the process of saving up for a hi-fi setup I decided it just wasn't worth the money to me, compared to other hobbies and priorities.

I'm looking for a full size around the ear headphones that don't need an amp to drive them. They will come straight out of a headphone jack on my cowon s9 and maybe my computer.

Here's what they need to be:
-Full size around-the-ear
-comfortable
-no amp needed
-closed or opened - doesn't matter
-price: whatever the price, although I'm assuming that no-amp headphones that sound good don't run much more than $300 USD.

If they are closed, it is an added plus because I will use them in more places, but only if they don't sound can-ny or get hot or sweaty on my ears.

The only headphone I've been considering so far are the Sens HD595's.

Musical tastes: Needs to play metal and orchestra well, most of the time these two genres are mixed together (symphonic metal), and about 50% of the vocals in the bands I listen too are male and 50% female-so have to sound good with both.

Thanks!

Apr 7, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #2 of 21
If I were to remain with one headphone from the ones I have right now, it would be the AD2000.
They sound fantastic both from the Havana & WA6SE combo and Cowon S9 alike
wink.gif

Although, from S9, if I don't use a portable amplifier, I have to crank up the volume to maximum for some songs.

Between HD650 and AD2000, the latter gets about 90-95% listening time.

Don't know what to say about HD595's - the HD650's are the lowest Senns I owned.

BTW: I saw AD2000's sell for as low as $350-400 on the SH market.

Apr 7, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by mysticstryk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Musical tastes: Needs to play metal and orchestra well, most of the time these two genres are mixed together (symphonic metal), and about 50% of the vocals in the bands I listen too are male and 50% female-so have to sound good with both.

Unamped- the Grados are the leader, second to them is the Denons I think.
Grados are not for orchestra, they are for rock. Denon D2000 is an audiophile headphone for you I assume. Please read about D2000, this might be your ticket.
o2smile.gif

Apr 7, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #4 of 21
I wholeheartedly recommend the Shure SRH840s for your application. They sound wonderful unamped, extemely full bodied, smooth treble, great soundstage and are really comfortable. Other options would be the highest Ultrasone or Grado model you can afford... as they generally do well unamped too. However, both Grado and Ultrasone have a "house sound" that is pretty much either love it or hate it, whereas the Shure doesnt have that issue to my ears.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 8, 2010 at 3:05 AM Post #5 of 21
Beyerdynamic DT770, Audio-Technica ATH-A900, a pair of grado's, or just go for Iem's.

Apr 8, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #6 of 21
try to look at the audio technica ad line up.. they are easy to drive
great soundstage for the orchestra as well
i'd say, ad900 is best if u thinking about not using an amp

Apr 8, 2010 at 4:17 AM Post #7 of 21
If you don't want to spend a lot of money and just save some, here is what i'd suggest:

Creative Aurvana Live ($70 on amazon, same as Denon D1001)
Shure SRH-840 (lots of good reviews on these and can often be found for under $150)
Sennheiser HD-555 ($100. the 595 are supposed to be better, but more expensive)

You could go with the Denon D2000, but it's hard to suggest these since some people seem to think they only work well with an amp. I think on your Cowon they will be fine. These i'd only suggest if you don't mind a lot of bass. I disliked these, but i'm only suggesting checking into these because 99% of everyone seems to love them. They're around $240.

If you're paying that much i'd try to find some 32ohm Beyer DT-880s for under $260. It may be difficult. The DT-770 and 990 probably won't work well without an amp.

Apr 8, 2010 at 9:01 AM Post #9 of 21
I'm not sure if the Creative Aurvana Live! is the best budget options. Deep 'fuzzy' bass isn't what I would like unless the track was recorded like that.

Mysticstryk, do you like you music to sound fun, lifelike, detailed etcetera?

Apr 8, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deep Funk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mysticstryk, do you like you music to sound fun, lifelike, detailed etcetera?

Can I choose all of the above?

Apr 8, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #11 of 21
Nice, fun and detailed could work with the Panasonic RP-HTX7, lifelike is a matter of auditioning a burned in one. During burn in I noticed some weird sound effects, I think echo but that should be fixable.

It's quite bassy yet there's a balance. It'll become my 'fun' portable.

Apr 8, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by captian73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grado's or Alessandro's

^^^^^^what he said^^^^^^

Apr 8, 2010 at 8:19 PM Post #13 of 21
SRH840 and not any AD series. At least not the higher end AD series, they need a powerful amp to sound its best.

Apr 9, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #15 of 21
Just as a little bit of information that may prove useful if you decide to go the HD555/595 route, which are one of the better options for symphonic metal in the sub $300/no amp category IMO, is that you can turn the 555 into the 595 with a fairly easy mod as seen in this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back