Full-size headphones
Jan 17, 2016 at 5:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

kudo

Head-Fier
So I'm looking into investing another pair of headphones, as my Beyer Dt770/600 broke.

Is there any recommendations for good pair of full-size headphones that are easy to drive, I might get better source later on but currently using integrated that has some kind of amp but I'd doubt its quality.

Currently using ATH-M50x so something with different kind of sound.
Thanks.

Jan 17, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #2 of 16
Whoa! I love your avatar.

If you are using an integrated speaker amp, you probably don't need to worry about not getting enough volume out of headphones. Here are a few of my favorite circumaural headphones I have owned that should work with your amp. (Not listing ones I have only auditioned.)

open: HIFIMAN HE400i, Sennheiser HD 650, Sennheiser HD 700, beyerdynamic DT 880 Edition (aka Premium), Philips SHP9500
closed: Yamaha HPH-MT220, Focal Spirit Professional

If you provide more information (such as your budget, desired sound signature, whether open- or closed-back is okay, and so on), other members will be able to make more specific recommendations than otherwise.

Jan 17, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #3 of 16
Thanks!

I don't really have much requirements for them, budget maybe something under 300$, maybe something with more sound stage than ATH-M50x and emphasis on female vocals, both open- and closed-back are okay but closed is preferred, thanks to my listening time mostly limited to nights so don't want to wake up other people.

Both closed headphones you recommended seems like something that I could get, gotta read more info about them.

Also checking out V-MODA Crossfade M-100 and Shure SRH-840, opinions for all headphones mentioned are appreciated.

Jan 17, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #4 of 16
Thanks!

I don't really have much requirements for them, budget maybe something under 300$, maybe something with more sound stage than ATH-M50x and emphasis on female vocals, both open- and closed-back are okay but closed is preferred, thanks to my listening time mostly limited to nights so don't want to wake up other people.

Both closed headphones you recommended seems like something that I could get, gotta read more info about them.

Also checking out V-MODA Crossfade M-100 and Shure SRH-840, opinions for all headphones mentioned are appreciated.

To my ears, the MT220 is far better than the M50x, M-100, and FSP too.

Here's some info:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/658673/yamaha-hph-mt220-thread-merged
http://www.head-fi.org/products/yamaha-hph-mt220bl
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/music-production/accessories/headphones/hph-mt220_w/

The MSRP is $399. It used to be available new for $150 but is now around $250 since being discontinued. Still available used for under $150.

Jan 18, 2016 at 12:00 AM Post #5 of 16
Shame they're discontinued, looked into them and can't find them anywhere in my country..

So many possibilities on what to get, Sony MDR-1A and Sennheiser Momentum Over-Ear look really tempting too.

Jan 18, 2016 at 12:04 AM Post #6 of 16
I owned the MOMENTUM (original version) and don't think it's much of an upgrade over the M50x. (Can go either way depending on preference, but in all honesty, I think they're both mediocre.)

If you'll be listening at home and don't need something portable, I think you're better off going for an open-back model.

Jan 18, 2016 at 1:20 AM Post #7 of 16
Open-backs are not out of question, but like I said with family around and listening time being limited, closed-backs are currently preferred, unless people think open-backs can offer much better solution to what I'm looking for.

I haven't mentioned this yet but genre I most of the time listen to is Pop&Electronica with female vocals if that helps giving recommendations.

Jan 18, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #9 of 16
Open-backs are not out of question, but like I said with family around and listening time being limited, closed-backs are currently preferred, unless people think open-backs can offer much better solution to what I'm looking for.

I haven't mentioned this yet but genre I most of the time listen to is Pop&Electronica with female vocals if that helps giving recommendations.

Are you in the same room as people sleeping? If not, I think you should be fine unless they are extremely light sleepers and can hear all the noises from other rooms.

I will also mention that if you are willing to get a dedicated amp for it, the STAX SR-207 sounds better to me than all the other open headphones I mentioned, with all genres of music too. And if bought used, the total price can still be lower than some of the others. (I got an SR-207 + SRM-212 used for like $330.)

Jan 18, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #11 of 16
The walls are pretty much paper here, so they leak everything. Of course I can listen to music during day sometimes.

THX00 look nice but I doubt they'll do another massdrop anytime soon :frowning2:

Jan 18, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #12 of 16
THX00 look nice but I doubt they'll do another massdrop anytime soon
frown.gif

You could always get a used one.

Jan 18, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #14 of 16
Not much of market for used headphones here, and ordering them abroad would just get them into customs and how high the taxes are price would probably end up near new.

Oh yeah. Too many countries are like that. No idea why. In the US, we don't have any taxes, fees, etc. when importing audio equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back