Full size headphones with mic for 50% gaming 50% music
Jan 4, 2012 at 4:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

afhstingray

New Head-Fier
I'm currently looking at these:

http://www.creative.com/soundblaster/tactic3d/recon3domega/

as the reviews are quite good, but i feel the price is a bit high since i know if i get a unit without a mic i can go for various sennheisers and sony's which sound great. (i havent tried these creatives myself).

does anyone have a suggestion around the 100 dollar price range for something great that preferably also has a mic (for use when gaming)? 

thanks in advance.

Jan 4, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #2 of 2
Typically people around here don't recommend gaming headsets because of notoriously poor build quality and the headphones themselves very good. If you're looking for something competitive, the Audio Technica ATH-AD700 is hard to beat at ~$100 (Not good in a loud environment because they're open and leak sound both ways), but if you're looking for something more fun sounding with decent soundstage, the Creative Aurvana Live is a pretty good one. I've also heard someone bring up the Fostex T50RP, which seems somewhat hard to find but at the cheapest I've seen it going for about $70.

For the microphone, I would say a clip on mic works fine. I have a DealExtreme microphone, which is very clear, considering I spent about $3 on it. There are also a few samples on YouTube for the Zalman ZM-MIC1, which are very clear as well, and costs $5-$10.

If you really want a gaming headset, I can't really recommend anything but the higher end Sennheiser models, because some of them have absolutely horrible sound quality, even at over $100. I've heard the Razer Carcharias is pretty good, and costs between $60-$80, so that could be an option.

Edit: on a second thought, scratch the Razer, their peripherals besides mice are pretty bad for reliability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back