Full size headphones usable with head on a pillow?
Jan 14, 2014 at 9:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Operabuff

New Head-Fier
Basic situation:
Think long(ish) bed-ridden medical treatment and eventual convalescence. Combined with a love for music, and a craving for good sound.

Problem:
Full size (over ear) headphones often are so large, or have “stirrups” (like Beyer DT´s and Teslas, as well as some other brands) that extend backwards (and forwards) from the ear cups, that the headphones are uncomfortable while laying down with the head supported by a pillow.

I do have some semi-OK on-ear headphones (Sennheiser PX-100 and PX-200 as well as some quite nice old Technics phones), but would prefer over ear full size headphones, if they only would work ergonomically. I also have decent in-ear phones, but those get uncomfortable in the long run. We are looking for higher quality sound here...
I do have some Sennheiser HD-540’s, which were Sennheisers top of the line model, when I got them almost 25 years ago. They still sound pretty good to me, and are in full working order, but even if I like them. I’m thinking that some progress in sound quality must have been happening in the last quarter of a century.
I mostly listen to classical music, but also to just about any other kind of material except rap and hip-hop and such things.
Let’s assume that the basics are in good order, such as suitably hard pillow (not too fluffy, i.e. will support the head with no “undue sinking”) and amplification suitable for more or less any load.
What full-size headphones would be worth trying? Budgetary constraints are (within reason) secondary. The phones do not need to be closed – noise leakage is acceptable, and no real isolation is necessary.

Suggestions, please.

Thank you!
Patrik

Jan 14, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #3 of 6
Wow, this situation really calls for sennheiser momentum over-ear cans. They are portable, over-ear (your ear lobe might be left out of the dampening, though), and the snug ear padding design is a good reminder not to fidget around the healing area until you are ready. The more intimate sound presentation will help get you back on your feet, too.

Heh, almost sound like a doctor.:tongue_smile: They go for $300 new, but have seen them for $200 in the classifieds and about as low at amazon used.

Edit: Unanimous vote, folks.

Jan 14, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #4 of 6
This might not be the advice you are looking for, but you could also try stacking a smaller pillow about the width of your head between your head and the main pillow, so the headphones don't touch the main pillow.

Jan 14, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #5 of 6
Hmm, I think the nature of full-size, over-ear 'phones are that they are, well, full-sized. You might be better off with portable on-ear - like the Sennheiser Amperior or Momentum On-Ear, or perhaps one of the AKG portables (Q460, K619, etc) or the Beyer T50. The Beyer DT250 has more of an oval shape with the long-end of the oval vertical - would that help?

Jan 14, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #6 of 6
This might not be the advice you are looking for, but you could also try stacking a smaller pillow about the width of your head between your head and the main pillow, so the headphones don't touch the main pillow.

That is the method I usually use with the HD-540's (10 cm or 4" earpads, no "stirrups"). A slim pillow folded once, actually. It works OK for a couple of hours, and then I need to rest my head for a bit. I can't move my head much, though, before the earcaps (is that the correct word?) touch the pillow, so smaller phones could be an option - and here I wish to than you all who suggested the Momentums, they look like a decent alternative. However, I really wish that any new phones should improve also sonically on the HD-540's, so I'd better just visit some shops in order to listen and compare - I wonder what the salespersons would say if I brought my own pillow along... :)

Thank you all, and keep the suggestions flowing, please.

B.r.
Patrik

Users who are viewing this thread

Back