Full size headphones that don't require amp for netbook use
Jul 21, 2009 at 5:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

rickdanger

New Head-Fier
Hi,

Currently using HD-555s with my desktop setup, these headphones need an amp so I'm looking for another pair of full size headphones to use with my netbook.

Don't want to carry an external amp as well so need a pair that don't require one. Prefer them to be open and comfortable (why I got the 555s =]). Will be used 50/50 for rock (REM etc) and movies.

What should I look at? How do I determine if headphones won't require an amp? Efficiency? Impedance?

Jul 21, 2009 at 7:30 AM Post #3 of 6
heard that the Denon D1001's don't need amp and are comfortable, but it's closed...

Jul 21, 2009 at 3:49 PM Post #4 of 6
The sound card on my samsung NC10 netbook is total crap!! Sounded dreadful .I now use a Hotaudio bit perfect dac/amp,very small and powered from the usb port.The best $60 i have spent for a long while.and sounds great with sr80i's/MS1's.

Jul 21, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickdanger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't want to carry an external amp as well so need a pair that don't require one. Prefer them to be open and comfortable (why I got the 555s =]). Will be used 50/50 for rock (REM etc) and movies.

The only headphones that are open and don't require an amp are cheap Grados (SR60-SR125/MS-1).
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickdanger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What should I look at? How do I determine if headphones won't require an amp? Efficiency? Impedance?

It's better to listen than to look at technical data.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back