Full size headphones & sleeping
Jun 13, 2009 at 8:12 AM Post #16 of 29
I have been known to pass out from time to time, regardless to what's on my head. I try not to make a habit out of it, especially when I'm wearing headphones.

When I'm making a concerted effort to go to sleep, I don't care how the music sounds. In fact, having too good of music makes it too engaging and then I'm too interested in the music to sleep. Thus, Craptop speakers on a low volume all the way for sleeping.

Jun 13, 2009 at 8:18 AM Post #17 of 29
ADDIEM is probably the best thing to sleep with, the YUINs hurts my earlobe after a couple of hours and I have to yank them off during my sleep every night.

I tried sleeping with my MS-1000, works well, only because I'm a still sleeper and don't move much. It helps to have a big fluffy pillow.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 13, 2009 at 2:24 PM Post #18 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by KONAKONA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I used to try sleeping with IEMs back when I had a nice collection of crappy ones. It seemed they were all too big and ended up trying to push into my ear. Not very comfortable.
frown.gif

Also, what volume do you all listen at? I usually listen at normal volume (Or a few times way back when, all the way up) or maybe a bit quieter. None of that one notch away from mute stuff though.

Definite normal volume?

Jun 14, 2009 at 6:58 AM Post #20 of 29
Crappy earphones were good until I really appreciate full sized headphones. MS1 are pretty good for sleeping on the back, but I usually take them off just before passing out. My SJ5 are pretty good too, they are more solid, but they don't sound as good.

Jun 15, 2009 at 2:06 PM Post #21 of 29
I thought I was the only one who slept with full-size headphones. I used to sleep with HD-201s every night (don't make fun of me, this was before i knew something better existed). They are pretty durable cause every time i wake up they are off my head and flung across the bed.

Jun 15, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #22 of 29
I usually sleep with my klipsch custom-2s. With the right tips, pushed pretty far in, the phones tend to sit close to my head. For me, I use diy foam tips that don't go in far, so I sleep with a hand placed close to my ear, raising the IEM above my pillow. When I get tired of that, I occasionally use apple ibuds, which tend to pop out after I fall asleep.

I imagine that any of sennheiser IE's, which are similarly shaped as the klipsch's, would do well, too, again with the right tips.

Jun 15, 2009 at 6:27 PM Post #23 of 29
I hope that everyone here knows how much easier it is to damage your ears whilst you sleep. Not only because of the amount of time that elapses but also because of a change of the bones in the ear that makes quieter sound more damaging.

Jun 15, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #24 of 29
As far as actually sleeping with cans on I'd take IEMs any day. I used to sleep with my Sony EX70 back in the day, and they were pretty fine for the purpose. In recent times its been my Westone UM1 and later UM2. They're low profile when worn and extremely comfy so sleeping with them ain't much of a problem.

I do most of my listening on bed cuz my apartment has no space for a chaise or reclining chair of any sort (ultimately I'd absolutely love an Eames and the matching ottoman/foot rest) so the bed is the next best choice. With my HD 25-1 I could move quite a fair bit. Same case with the k81dj. But with the Beyer DT150, these are full circumaural tanks it's a tad tough. All it takes is a slight jostle and they get out of position.

As xkRoWx said having a big fluffy (and soft I might add) pillow helps a great deal with full sized circumaurals like the DT150.

Jun 15, 2009 at 8:17 PM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've slept (or passed out) with headphones on plenty of times. I find the HD-600/650 and DT880 best for this. I especially like the HD-650 here - it's darker and groovier which is helpful for, er, certain states of mind.

hehe yes when I'm really tired I listen with HD600s just in case I fall asleep
tongue.gif

Jun 15, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #28 of 29
The thing is, I have this neck problem which can only be improved by sleeping with my neck tilted backwards, so a pillow is out of the question.
I have this...ceramic half-pipe (not the skateboard term, a pipe cut vertically in half) that I put my neck on when I sleep, which leaves a good amount of space behind my head. Normally, the back of my head does not touch the sheets.
So I slept with plenty of full-size headphones. No problem, just pull the headband to my forehead and decrease sound volume..

Jun 15, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #29 of 29
I accidentally fell asleep with HD800s on last night. Woke up four hours later listening to Cowboy Junkies live shows. Although I don't sleep on purpose with headphones on, since I like listening to music late at night, these things happen. The 800s were very comfy. Most often slept in headphones: esw9s and 10s. The small size makes it easy to have your head on a pillow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back