Full size headphones for movie watching
Jul 31, 2014 at 10:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

maestrochin29

New Head-Fier
I'm hung between the Grado sr80i and the senn hd598,considering both give a good soundstage. So which gives more bass ? And what would be better overall for movies too other than music ? Other reccomendations ( that I hope is available here) are welcome

Jul 31, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #3 of 11
Thanks for replying , bass is not the main thing. I would be happy with a decent amount of clean articulated bass ,as opposed to less bass. The Yamaha seems to be a good option ,the other too are too costly

Jul 31, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #4 of 11
I would be surprised if the Yamahas give you more bass extension for movies than the HD598s, just merely some different bass emphasis in the mid bass region. And for comfort, the HD598s are going to beat out an on ear.

What will you be powering these with/hooking them up to (make/model)?

HP200s are only $20 more expensive than the HD598s here in the US. Where do you live?

Jul 31, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #6 of 11
I would be surprised if the Yamahas give you more bass extension for movies than the HD598s, just merely some different bass emphasis in the mid bass region. And for comfort, the HD598s are going to beat out an on ear.

What will you be powering these with/hooking them up to (make/model)?

HP200s are only $20 more expensive than the HD598s here in the US. Where do you live?

Hmmm , thanks for making me aware , frankly in a peanut when it comes to audiophile stuff. i dont quite fancy the hp200s yet , but out here in India , the Sennheiser hd 598 is marginally more expensive than the HP200s. I maybe would hook it up with a fiio e06 for now
I have read that the grado could get uncomfortable and piercing , while the movie with sfx sounds loud , so i imagine if that could be that bad. 
And if anyone knows more about the Denon AH D340 music maniac , that'd be nice , since its ridiculously cheap here.

Jul 31, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #7 of 11
I'd go with the HD598 for their extreme comfort for movie watching. They are also fairly easy to drive, although they can sound better with a better amp/dac (as with most good headphones). So E6 should have no problem getting a good bit of volume out of them.

Grado is not would I would choose for movie watching because of both their sound signature and comfort, and I like Grados. For movies, I want a headphone with decent low end bass extension, and that's not Grado.

To find out about a headphone model, google using "head-fi" as a keyword: https://www.google.com/#q=Denon+AH+D340+head-fi

:)

Incidentally, for a closed headphone, the Soundmagic HP150 have a very good soundstage. Comfort is pretty good (to me). I have them, and I would use them for movies before my AKG K612, which are open headphones with a bit larger soundstage because of the deeper bass. Better deep bass extension than you'll get from the Senns. They have just been released in the last week, so might not be available to you. They are a revision of the HP100, which have a better cable setup, different looking cups, and better case. In terms of sound, best guess it that they might (or might not) have a touch more bass and treble than the HP100, so you could go by reviews of the HP100. Ask SteveHiFi in your other thread. He has heard the HP150s and could tell you how well he thinks that they would work.

Jul 31, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #8 of 11
I'd go with the HD598 for their extreme comfort for movie watching. They are also fairly easy to drive, although they can sound better with a better amp/dac (as with most good headphones). So E6 should have no problem getting a good bit of volume out of them.

Grado is not would I would choose for movie watching because of both their sound signature and comfort, and I like Grados. For movies, I want a headphone with decent low end bass extension, and that's not Grado.

To find out about a headphone model, google using "head-fi" as a keyword: https://www.google.com/#q=Denon+AH+D340+head-fi

smily_headphones1.gif

Incidentally, for a closed headphone, the Soundmagic HP150 have a very good soundstage. Comfort is pretty good (to me). I have them, and I would use them for movies before my AKG K612, which are open headphones with a bit larger soundstage because of the deeper bass. Better deep bass extension than you'll get from the Senns. They have just been released in the last week, so might not be available to you. They are a revision of the HP100, which have a better cable setup, different looking cups, and better case. In terms of sound, best guess it that they might (or might not) have a touch more bass and treble than the HP100, so you could go by reviews of the HP100. Ask SteveHiFi in your other thread. He has heard the HP150s and could tell you how well he thinks that they would work.

Hmmm , now this AKG K612 looks very interesting. Flipkart says its "coming soon" , but it looks like its something worth waiting for. the HP100 however are like 20k , so thats too much. So anyway about the HD 598 , do you say that it has a fairly decent amount of bass , and more than that the SR80i gives ? because what ive read is that the bass is really lacking there

Jul 31, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #9 of 11
I doubt that the K612 will run well off the E6. They are a very difficult headphone to drive, more difficult than most.

The HD598 will have better bass than Grados. Whether or not it's a "decent amount" for you, I cannot say. If you like basshead headphones, it's not a good choice, but I would like it for movie watching.

Jul 31, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #10 of 11
My honest opinion: because most movies weren't produced with headphones in mind, a large soundstage makes voices and special effects too distant to be appreciated. You should focus on comfort rather than sound quality and look for closed back headphones.

Jul 31, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #11 of 11
DT880s are a good candidate, as they provide evidence of sub bass where many headphones in my opinion don't get so low - combined with a great stage they would be my pick - they are also a step above in terms of lightness and comfort

Users who are viewing this thread

Back