Full-size Headphone under $200... like every other thread...
Feb 13, 2017 at 3:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Xtrenity

New Head-Fier
You've probably seen this title more than 100 times.

The first recommendation I'm probably gonna hear is ATH-M50 or M50x...
I tried them, and...

wasn't really blown away.

I had been using a pair of FXT-90s, which in my honest opinion displayed mids more accurately and had a more fun punchy bass.

Unfortunately for me, those pairs of FXT-90s happen to be falling apart.

I'm looking for a new pair of headphones, since I'll just use them for whatever until they finally give out.

The headphones in question most likely won't be driven by an amp unless there's an amp recommendation.

I'm okay with a different sound signature, but knowing that most of my previous headphones have had a V-shaped curve, I most likely prefer the V-shape sound signature.
The music I generally listen to is a mix of EDM, "Chillstep" and Japanese rock/pop. Just imagine the typical osu! player.

Headphones I'm currently considering are:

Beyerdynamic DT880 / DT990, 250 Ohms with any amp here

HD600/HD650/HD598 

AKG K70X

AKG K553

I really hope that these headphones aren't as mediocre as that of the ATH-M50s.

Feb 13, 2017 at 9:23 PM Post #2 of 5
Some of the headphones you outline are going to be more than $200. Sure you know that. That being said, I like the HD650 and the DT990 for your musical tastes. Probably personally prefer the 650 for its better neutrality, though the 990 is closer to the v shape you like. Treble can be a bit much for some people (which is why some prefer the DT880, the more neutral of the two). So, there's that. In any event, you will need an amp for either one. It doesn't have to be a crazy-expensive amp, it just had to be adequate. The K553 Pro is an excellent headphone but it is not really v-shaped--it's more on the neutral side. I haven't heard the K7xx, sorry. Some thoughts.

Feb 13, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #3 of 5

I'm okay with a different sound signature, but knowing that most of my previous headphones have had a V-shaped curve, I most likely prefer the V-shape sound signature.
The music I generally listen to is a mix of EDM, "Chillstep" and Japanese rock/pop. Just imagine the typical osu! player.
---
HD600/HD650/HD598 

AKG K70X

AKG K553

You can scratch all those off your list but most especially stay away from the K701 and HD600.

Feb 14, 2017 at 12:00 AM Post #4 of 5
My recommendation is probably not the most logical but I think it's the best for the job. Fostex T50RP MKIII. Yeah, they're mostly neutral, yeah, the ear cups aren't that great, yeah, they will improve noticeably with an amp but, they are very very fun to listen to. They have good, deep bass that is tight (planar) and powerful and they will work without an amp. You can change the ear cups if you like as well which goes a long way for comfort and if you get/have an amp they will be even better and it won't have to be a $100+ amp to get the job done. 

Anyway I say this because I have owned the ATH-M50X's as well, and I know exactly what you mean. I'm guessing you didn't think they were terrible but didn't think they were good? That was my impression as well. Having said all of this if I was only going to have 1 pair of sub $200 headphones, I would buy those again full stop. They're semi-open but the sound leakage isn't bad and the sound is full, in your face and detailed with no muddiness. I listen to everything but death metal, classical or country and they are the best all rounder headphone that is accurate and fun with PRaT and a slight bass skew I have come across.

Best of luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back