Full Size Headphone Portable, which one to buy?
Feb 4, 2010 at 6:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

ricardo3326

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone
biggrin.gif
I'm a newcomer to headphones, I'm currently using PICO AMP/DAC with my SE530 and now I'm thinking about to get a Full Size Headphone and here's my list: HD650, ATH ESW9, K701, K702, D2000 have got pretty decent sound but I just don't know which one to choose. Can someone give me some idea of which one to get?
My current budget is around $500 tho.
Cheers guys~ &sorry if I made any English mistakes
biggrin.gif
o2smile.gif

Feb 4, 2010 at 6:30 PM Post #2 of 20
What type of music do you listen to? What are you looking for in your headphones?

Feb 4, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #6 of 20
why portable? what exactly do you plan on using them for?

All the headphones you listed except maybe the ESW9, don't isolate worth a damn..
So, if you plan on using them outside or on the subway, you may want to reconsider.

Futhermore, the HD650 and K70X are hard to drive. I doubt your pico could live up to the challenge.

EDIT: open means that the headphones have an open back.. so that air can come through both sides of the chamber.
This also means that the headphones won't isolate, and they will leak a ton.

Closed headphones isolate more and don't leak.

Feb 4, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Halluci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What type of music do you listen to? What are you looking for in your headphones?

Confort, and good sound.. I used to have a ATH-Pro700 when I was in high school but I found them pretty heavy and my head and ears felt a little painful as I listen to them for over an hour or two..

Feb 4, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by nullstring /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why portable? what exactly do you plan on using them for?

All the headphones you listed except maybe the ESW9, don't isolate worth a damn..
So, if you plan on using them outside or on the subway, you may want to reconsider.

Futhermore, the HD650 and K70X are hard to drive. I doubt your pico could live up to the challenge.

yes, I do hang out a lot so noise isolation is also a big consideration and that's why I bought a SE530..
smily_headphones1.gif

and yeep, I heard HD650 and K70x are hard to drive.. That's why I'm looking for helpers here..
wink_face.gif

Feb 4, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #9 of 20
Look into the Shure SRH 840's.

Your amp should be able to drive them fine, and they isolate pretty well.

Feb 4, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #10 of 20
if you listen loud enough it blocks out the sound anyway.

open headphones- in my opinion and alot of other people, have a way better sound, but tend to leak that sound out to people close to you,

closed head phones- keep the sound inside and dont leak that much or at all.

Feb 4, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by nullstring /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Look into the Shure SRH 840's.

Your amp should be able to drive them fine, and they isolate pretty well.

hmm.. any idea of SRH840 sounds comparing to SE530.. I was kinda looking at SRH840 as well but I didn't quite like the look of it..
BTW.. If I want to drive HD650 or K70x, which amp should I use for Portable?

Feb 4, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by cck5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

open headphones- in my opinion and alot of other people, have a way better sound, but tend to leak that sound out to people close to you,

hmm.. I guess I'm going for Closed ones.. Thank you for answering tho
wink_face.gif

Feb 4, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by cck5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Dunno if it´s wise to recommend cranking the volume up to block outside noise??? I would be very careful about my hearing.

And ambient noise kills the enjoyment of music very fast. I don´t enjoy using open headphones like K701 on my computer. Always switch it off and use my PS 3 as source for my open headphones... Only way to make a fair comparison to my closed counter parts too
smily_headphones1.gif

If you are in a noisy environments you should limit yourself to headphones with at least decent isolation. And be careful to use volume as active noise cancellation
tongue.gif

Feb 4, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dunno if it´s wise to recommend cranking the volume up to block outside noise??? I would be very careful about my hearing.

And ambient noise kills the enjoyment of music very fast. I don´t enjoy using open headphones like K701 on my computer. Always switch it off and use my PS 3 as source for my open headphones... Only way to make a fair comparison to my closed counter parts too
smily_headphones1.gif

If you are in a noisy environments you should limit yourself to headphones with at least decent isolation. And be careful to use volume as active noise cancellation
tongue.gif

x2

Feb 4, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #15 of 20
So Hmm, just to conclude what I think I'm looking for
I guess I'm looking for a Closed Full Size headphone by using PICO AMP/DAC to drive it. Price range: around $500 or below
I do listen to all kinds of music so sound preference is all round.
Another point, they better look good & of course, they have to be comfortable
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back