Full size headphone Death/Black Metal 150$<
May 11, 2014 at 2:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

naurto75

New Head-Fier
Hey guys I am looking for a pair of full size headphone to use with my pc. I will be doing some gaming with them, but mostly listening to extreme metal. I am looking for a around in the 150$ or so price range. Any recommendations? I was looking at the ATH-M50x. This will stay at my house/indoors 

May 11, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #2 of 6
Try out several headphones whenever possible before you buy, especially if you are spending significant money on them.

You can try the ATH-M50x at a Guitar Center (I'm sure there would be other places as well). They would have plenty of other options so try as many as you can while you're there. I was thinking of getting M50s as well, but when I listened to them I was not all that impressed. I'm not a bass head, but if you are, you might like them. Even if you're not, you might like them anyway so don't let me discourage you. Keep in mind that a noisy environment like GC might make you favor noise isolating headphones while you're trying them out, but at home you might prefer something else.

If you can find somewhere that has them, try out some Grados. I went with the SR125i and love them for pretty much everything that i listen to. I have read that Grados can be polarizing when it comes to peoples opinions of them, so you'll probably want to try them first. They aren't circumaural or closed back like the M50s. If that's what you're looking for, I still recommend you try them as they might change your mind. I wasn't sure I'd like then, but after listening to them I was convinced.

A variety of the metal bands I listen to include: In Flames, Dream Theater, Tesseract, Meshuggah, Slayer, Wintersun, etc.

May 12, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #5 of 6
Also how do these compare to the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO, 80 ohms? They worth the extra $50 for metal music? And should I be able to drive these with my desktop? Ive got an asus m5a99fx pro 2.0 motherboard. 

May 13, 2014 at 2:33 AM Post #6 of 6
I'm not really into black metal. I listen to Chelsea Grin's first EP, and some Carnifex, I think they may be the closest to that vocal style, or at least the highest pitch vocals I can think of at the moment. Distorted guitars tend to saturate higher frequencies, so if guitars sound good I think high vocals would also. They sound good to me.

The SR125i is not the best for comfort. They're not bad, but if comfort is a big selling point then it might be worth it to try some other options. I haven't listened to the DT770.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back