Full size cans with an amp or canalphones without
Feb 27, 2010 at 6:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

buddymydog

New Head-Fier
I am considering a full size can for my sansa media player, I am also going to purchase an amp, I have started using lossless files.
I am considering either an akg k701 or a denon ah d5000 My amp choice so far may be a headroom micro amp, ray samuels hornet or even possibly a Pico portable. I want this to be as simple as possible without having to buy cable upgrades, or amp upgrades
any suggestions? I was also considering scrapping the idea of a full size can for a shure se530 used without an amp.

Feb 27, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #2 of 9
You don`t mind walking in public with huge headphones? I say get shure and pico portable...

Mar 1, 2010 at 12:49 AM Post #3 of 9
I will not be walking around with large headphones on my head LOL, just for home use, I would settle with my sennheiser px's for outside portable use if I bought a set of large cans

Mar 1, 2010 at 1:01 AM Post #4 of 9
I would never want to be restricted to using IEMs at home. Full size is where it's at. I often enjoy my HD 650 or DX1000 using one of my portable amps. I hope this thread doesn't go into the dreaded "portable amps can't drive full size headphones". I say they can! End of story.
tongue.gif

Mar 1, 2010 at 2:08 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by melomaniac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
best to use both IEMs and full-size with an amp! :wink:

They seem to work best with some type of amp.
tongue.gif
...your sig looks like a shopping list...screen size???

Mar 1, 2010 at 3:02 AM Post #7 of 9
Well, depends on whether you want to loose your portability. The full-sizes are definitely more comfy and you'll be able to wear them for longer.

Mar 1, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #8 of 9
I can't comment on any of the headphones you mentioned, but one thing I will say:

If you like the basic sound signature of the stock Sansa earbuds, take a look at the ATH-M50. Since burn-in, I found that they sound remarkably like the earbuds that came with my Sansa E250. The main differences are slightly elevated bass, and an increase in detail. I don't find one to be brighter or darker than the other, and that made me happy.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 24, 2010 at 3:30 AM Post #9 of 9
I already own the sennheiser px100ii, I never bothered to even unwrap the sansa buds, just tossed em in a drawer. I Love the Senns, I hope I love the es3x more JJG
I have a feeling I am on a quest for sonic bliss, I have $800 to play with, considering the es3x to start, and then the denons with a headroom amp/pico/ or ray samuals amp at a later time. JJG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back