Full size cans < $200
Feb 12, 2005 at 10:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 71

RoosterDude

Head-Fier
1st post! I am a student (only 17!) and my budget will only stretch to $200 so please do not reccomend R10s or anything like that as I simply cannot afford it.

I like listening to mainly to rock and dance. A bit of pop and classical but they aren't a main consideration for me. I never listen to jazz or anything else.

I currently own the Shure E3cs and quite like their warm sound and they sound great with the music I tend to listen to. This is why I opted for them as opposed to the ER4s as I felt these were more suited to classical (highs).

My home cinema system is Pioneer NS-DV990 which has 75w sub (25-2300hz) and 5x75w NXT speakers w/100-35000hz freq range.
It has a lot of bass but it isn't overpowering, it blends in nicely and doesn't drown out the mids and highs of the satellite NXTs!- I like this!

I was considering Beyer DT880, Grado SR225, Senn HD555
Though I am not limited to these and would be grateful for any other suggestions

One last thing, I will be using them at home (so I value comfort as I will sometimes be listening for long periods - 3/4hrs+) I may also use them a bit for gaming and they will be un-amped for atleast 6 months or so - please take these factors into account.

Thanks in advance,
RoosterDude

Feb 12, 2005 at 12:28 PM Post #2 of 71
Rock and dance, I would go with the Grado's for sure because of its upfront and in your face sound. Although, the Grados wont be as good for gaming as the Sennheiser since its not as comfortable. For the price range, I would just go get a Sennheiser HD600, (their on sale for 200 now) because if your just using these headphones for the computer, im sure your sound card will drive them fine. But out of the 3 headphones you put in, I would go with the Grado.
600smile.gif

Feb 12, 2005 at 1:02 PM Post #3 of 71
Almost similar question here.

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=105502

I would pick HD595 (instead of 555) mostly because they need no amp to sound good, better with amped, and very comfortable. Many said DT880 need good power (as I can attest with my DT531), and Grado is far from comfortable for long listening time, no matter what team iron ears lead you to believe, at least compared to the other two here. You really have to love Grado's, and at the same time hated Senn's, sound to be able to wear them for hours.
wink.gif

Sometimes can be had new for $180, now that they're gone, it won't hurt to ask that seller if he has some left.

Feb 12, 2005 at 1:08 PM Post #4 of 71
Oops, forgot the flag:
welcome.gif

Btw imo HD600 are even more comfortable, although they require better amplification than 595. If you like senn sound you would probably like both, although I preferred 595 tonal balance slightly over that of 600's.

Feb 12, 2005 at 1:36 PM Post #5 of 71
Great stuff. Is the sennheiser sound suited to rock and dance? I love it when the 'bass kicks in' in my trance collection.

Because I've heard the grado is great for rock etc.

Also, do you know of any cheap sennheiser/grado/beyer online retailers (or should that be e-tailers???)

Feb 12, 2005 at 1:49 PM Post #6 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by RoosterDude
Great stuff. Is the sennheiser sound suited to rock and dance? I love it when the 'bass kicks in' in my trance collection.

I never have any complain regardless of music, however, 595 are not really known for punchy bass slam, and in this regard you might like the HD600 better. I listen mostly to jazz / rock and like the neutral (to some, a bit shy) bass presentation of 595.

Amazon used to have a big discount on senns and J&R has 600 on sale now. Other than that please check head-fi sponsor links above.

Feb 12, 2005 at 2:02 PM Post #7 of 71
Aren't the 600s only meant to sound good when used with an amp?
And there is no way I'll be able to afford even the cheapestamp anytime soon!

Then there's the comfort problem with the grados!!!

How bout the Beyers or any others???

Feb 12, 2005 at 6:09 PM Post #8 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by RoosterDude
Great stuff. Is the sennheiser sound suited to rock and dance?

Rock-no! Try a Grado first and then switch to a Sennheiser if you don't like what the Grado does. There are a number of retailers that advertise on these forums who have a 30 day return policy on Grados/Senns.

Feb 12, 2005 at 6:11 PM Post #9 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nak Man
I never have any complain regardless of music, however, 595 are not really known for punchy bass slam, and in this regard you might like the HD600 better. I listen mostly to jazz / rock and like the neutral (to some, a bit shy) bass presentation of 595.

Curious - would the older 590 be better for trance? I love the 555 I recently got, but I prefer my A500 for trance because of the more powerful bass. Vocals tend to sound better (more clarity) on the Senn though.

Feb 12, 2005 at 6:46 PM Post #10 of 71
I'd try Grados. Truthfully, in your position, why not get the SR-60's, and save the extra money for something else? I think you'd have a difficult time really noticing any significant difference, and you'll get a good feel for Grado's sound for a lot less money. If you are new to headphones, or hi-fi listening, I think it's kind of a waste of money to go to the upper end of the line first. Find out what you like and don't like, and part of the fun of the hobby is upgrading because you have developed your listening to a point where you really notice WHY you want to upgrade part of your system. And as an aside, I don't find Grado's at all uncomfortable.
orphsmile.gif

Feb 12, 2005 at 6:48 PM Post #11 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by karma
Curious - would the older 590 be better for trance?

I didn't hear the 590 for a long time and don't listen to trance much, however, fellow headfi member 3lusiv3 who listen to trance missed his 590 especially for its bass. Can't find his post but do a 590 search on his name.

Quote:

I prefer the HD 595, but miss the stronger bass of the 590 which have slightly exaggerated bass. I like strong bass.

Quote:

The HD 555 have a great bass response. Better than most headphones. If you think they don't have enough bass you will only be happy with very bass heavy headphones.

If he's reading I'm sure he'll comment soon.

edit - ah, here's a thread that might interest both you and OP.

Best $200 and below headphone for rap?

Feb 12, 2005 at 6:52 PM Post #13 of 71
Quote:

I didn't hear the 590 for a long time and don't listen to trance much, however, fellow headfi member 3lusiv3 who listen to trance missed his 590 especially for its bass. Can't find his post but do a 590 search on his name.

the HD590 definitely have what people call "bass slam". so sweet for listening to trance and techno music; oh i really miss my old pair.

but you need an amp to get this "bass" to come out of these headphones, as driving them straight out of a computer or DAP just wont do it, IMO.

Feb 12, 2005 at 6:55 PM Post #14 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by zhenya
I think it's kind of a waste of money to go to the upper end of the line first.
and part of the fun of the hobby is upgrading

Hmm ... I'm quite sure there's good intention behind that suggestion.
icon10.gif

Soon you'll understand what 'sorry for your wallet' really means ... =)

Feb 12, 2005 at 7:05 PM Post #15 of 71
Quote:

Hmm ... I'm quite sure there's good intention behind that suggestion.
icon10.gif

Soon you'll understand what 'sorry for your wallet' really means ... =)

Oops, I can see how that can sound. I just went back and re-read the first post, and the original poster isn't quite as much a newbie as I had thought. I just meant why spend $200 on headphones when (especially at 17), a couple months down the road headphones might not interest you at all. And with SR-60's, you're taking a much smaller risk. Buy for $60, if you want, you can probably sell them for $40 later on. $200 SR225's might get you $140 later on. While buying top of the line first is, ultimately the cheapest way to "upgrade," it doesn't necessarily provide the most satisfaction from a hobby, as I have found (and I would assume others have too,) that it takes a lot of time to really understand the subtle differences in sound at play between $50 phones and $200 ones. I just think you appreciate better quality stuff MUCH more if you have spend some time with entry level hi-fi stuff first. I'm not suggesting an upgrade path of SR40 -> SR60 -> SR80 ->SR125 -> SR225.
smily_headphones1.gif
Just that SR60 -> SR225 or RS2 won't cost that much more in the long run, and might provide more satisfaction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back