Full size can + amp
Oct 13, 2009 at 12:56 PM Post #31 of 40
So a DAC would bypass my crappy onboard sound card? What about the Pico USB DAC/AMP combo then? At $500 it's pushing my budget, but I can alway wait for another paycheck or two.

Also, what about the DAC/AMP Corda 3MOVE? A bit cheaper but would it still power the HD650 and other similar headphones?

Oct 13, 2009 at 1:05 PM Post #32 of 40
Yes, a DAC would bypass your sound card.

The Pico USB DAC/AMP costs $500. I thought you only have that kind of money for headphone and amp/dac?

I think the Corda 3MOVE isn't designed for high-impendance headphone like the Sennheiser HD 650.

By the look of your suggested devices I think you really want a solution that is portable?
I think the Compass or the EF2 are easily movable within your room, why go for a more expensive, smaller and maybe worse sounding device?

Oct 13, 2009 at 1:28 PM Post #33 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by mysticstryk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These DAC/AMP combos are a bit confusing to me. What exactly do they do? Is it a better source than an mp3 player? Can a $300 DAC/AMP combo drive the HD650's better than a mp3 player and Headroom Micro Amp? My computer has onboard sound, so not that great, does it matter?

Everything that plays digital music has a DAC in it; it converts digital to analogue because phones and speaker don't speak digital. mp3 players, CD players etc. They all have tiny amps in as well or you wouldn't hear anything.

Onboard sound is no decent match for good phones. Look, you are looking to buy headphones in audiophile territory, yet wanting to run them on the cheap.

Quote:

So a DAC would bypass my crappy onboard sound card?
Also, what about the DAC/AMP Corda 3MOVE? A bit cheaper but would it still power the HD650 and other similar headphones?

That's what a DAC does, bypass poor sources. It provides a better signal for an amp to amplify for headphones. No. The 3move won't cut it. I have one, its a portable, runs off USB power or batteries, and they don't have the grunt for a 300ohm phone. You will need power from a mains powered desktop amp to activate the drivers.

Sure, there are people running 650s and K701s off cheap tube amps and portables, and they think they sound terrific, but they have no idea how much they've short-changed themselves or their phones.

Yes, the ideal equipment for these sorts of phones cost more than some people want to outlay. Ideal sources and amps for these can cost a lot more than the phones. But why bother if you don't want to spend lots extra, when you can get comparable sound for less money and hassle, simply by looking at something else?

Oct 13, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #34 of 40
You brought up an interesting point about spending less and getting comparable sound. What would be a good alternative to the HD 650?

@ PowerPaul86 - I'm not looking for portable, I couldn't care less actually. It's just what I've been finding in my research.

Back onto the HD 650 subject. What would a good DAC/AMP combo be? I'm not looking for the ABSOLUTE RAW POWER BEST just great. What kind of price range would that be in?

Oct 13, 2009 at 1:45 PM Post #35 of 40
So you really want to spend more than for one of the two DAC/AMP combos I posted before?
Sure you can always go with an inferior headphone and end up with a less expensive and enjoyable solution.

These two devices are the best bang for the buck-solution I found this far.

I think i am going to order the Compass because i could make use of the additional optical input.

Oct 13, 2009 at 1:54 PM Post #36 of 40
The combos you posted I don't think are any better, if not worse than the two I posted. I don't mind spending more, I'll just save a few more paychecks.

Oct 13, 2009 at 2:06 PM Post #37 of 40
Huh? I think you didn't read the reviews i posted!
Just look at the Compass thread here in the forum, where people tested the Compass with their HD800 and still say it's a valuable solution for people who don't want to spend more than $400 on high end gear (excluding the headphone of course).

You posted a portable dac/amp which isn't capable of driving the 650s and the Pico amp/dac costs $500.

If you are willing to spend that much money, then we aren't in a similar situation anymore.
smily_headphones1.gif

You should check out the HD 650 appreciation thread for advice and recommendations.

Oct 13, 2009 at 2:59 PM Post #38 of 40
Quote:

You brought up an interesting point about spending less and getting comparable sound. What would be a good alternative to the HD 650?

Any Grado, most of the Audio Technica range, any high quality, low impedance phone over $200 (although there are a few of exceptions to the low ohm rule, but save that confusion for another day).

But - if you want something to sound just like the 650, but without an amp, you're not likely to find it. But at the moment, you're just guessing, or something or someone tells you you want the 650 because it's a Senn and the fan love on here for them is overwhelming.

But your original post requirements told me you want to look at Grado. The 650 is the polar opposite of the sound you said you were looking for. You said the RS2 was too expensive - but now you realise what it takes to run the 650 and you're prepared to lay out just the same?

I think you've got too caught up in talking about equipment and forgotten exactly what is is you're after. You really want to look at spending ever upwards when you don't even know what you're buying?

Quote:

Originally Posted by PowerPaul86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Huh? I think you didn't read the reviews i posted!
Just look at the Compass thread here in the forum, where people tested the Compass with their HD800 and still say it's a valuable solution for people who don't want to spend more than $400 on high end gear (excluding the headphone of course).

Yes, maybe a solution for people who don't want to spend what they probably should be spending on such phones. That doesn't mean its ideal, and for a phone like the 800, you really should want it to deliver to its potential, or what's the point in shelling out big wads for it?

Take all the positive and negative stuff said on here dial it down about 80%. Some will flame me and say I should apply the same to my own opinion. I just hate to see people wasting money.

Oct 13, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #39 of 40
I've put some pretty good research into both the HD650's and a couple from the Grado line. I know what they are good for. It just seemed, from reviews, that I would probably find the Grado's a bit bright and fatiguing.

I was just asking what a decent setup would cost, so I could get a picture of it in my head, I'm not very knowledgeable in the amp and dac department, just too many different options.

Oct 15, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #40 of 40
I've been posting in the full size amp forum and have totally changed my position. Right now I'm looking at some Darkvoice amps and finding a DAC to match. Maybe the Audiotailer Jade instead of a Darkvoice. I'm not sure yet, point is, I should have no trouble running HD650's or anything else in that range on the setup I'm going for.

The reason I do not want a Grado is because the soundstage is narrow and instrument separation is not very good(this is the real dealbreaker). I must have good instrument separation.

Headphones I'm considering now are:

Senn HD650
Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

How do they compare?

What do you think about the Audio Technica ATH-AD1000 compared to the above two?

Any others I should consider?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back