Full size can + amp
Oct 12, 2009 at 1:51 AM Post #16 of 40
I remember a thread about someone using the Little Dot MK 1 with a Zune 80 powering the HD650's. Their review was very positive.
Would that feed enough power to my Grado's or HD650's or anything else in that range? I don't need a really portable amp. Just something that I can move around in my room if I need too.

Oct 12, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #18 of 40
About $500-$600. Less is better, but if I can get significantly better with the extra $100, then I'll go for it. This is for headphones and an amp (somewhat portable, so I can move it around some in my room)

Oct 12, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #19 of 40
Right now, there are two pair of Grado HF2 for under $500 in the FS forum. If they're not already sold, buy immediately. They sound stunning with the music you've listed, have great bass response, the famous Grado glorious mids, and the highs are tamer than most Grados. I'm not a Grado fan but I love these. They won't need an amp to sound good, but you could pick up a decent portable if you wanted to later on and walk around your room to your heart's content. That's my recommendation. The other headphones you're looking at will require a much better source and a dedicated, quality amp to sound as good as they are known for sounding.

Oct 12, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #20 of 40
Unfortunately I can't make a quick decision to spend $480 like that. I like to have time to consider my purchase. I will take a look at it though. Any other suggestions though if I can't do that?

Oct 12, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #21 of 40
With your budget, the type of music you like (especially if you love good guitar tone), plus wanting mobility, I can't think of anything better, and quite honestly, you could do a lot worse even with a bigger budget. If you decide you don't like them, you'll have no problem selling them for the same price or higher. Only 500 were made, and there won't be any more coming out.

Oct 12, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #23 of 40
I changed my position. I first need a headphone. If I can't afford an amp for it now, then I can wait a month or so to get it.

Here is what I want from a full-sized headphone: I will be comparing it somewhat to my Phonak PFE iem's since that is what I use now.

Bass-tight, punchy, like the phonak, just a LITTLE more quantity
Mids-smooth, detailed
Highs- sparkle, like the phonaks (not fatiguing, not bright)
Needs a great soundstage with great separation and imagery.

I like my phonaks, just needs a LITTLE more quantity on the bass and smoother mids. And of course all that only better since it's an expensive full sized can. I want to be absorbed into the music.

Oct 13, 2009 at 7:35 AM Post #24 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by mysticstryk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is what I want from a full-sized headphone: I will be comparing it somewhat to my Phonak PFE iem's since that is what I use now.

Bass-tight, punchy, like the phonak, just a LITTLE more quantity
Mids-smooth, detailed
Highs- sparkle, like the phonaks (not fatiguing, not bright)
Needs a great soundstage with great separation and imagery.

I like my phonaks, just needs a LITTLE more quantity on the bass and smoother mids. And of course all that only better since it's an expensive full sized can. I want to be absorbed into the music.

Any open phone will deliver more soundstage than an IEM.

Your wants could describe any number of phones, but suggests a higher end Grado, like the RS2. Although Grado's soundstage is not as wide as some, they are very easy to drive; they deserve, rather than need an amp.

You can do as much research on here, and take as much time as you like, but without hearing anything first, you'll still be taking a punt. And bear in mind, the more comparisons you ask for, the wider the range of differing opinions you will get.

from your last post, the 650 and 702 will need decent amping, and the 325 could have much top end.

Again, you're wasting a lot of money on top line phones if you're not going to consider your source as well (that includes what bitrate you music is at 128kbps is often the downloaders default, and it sucks). Not all great phones will need amping, but SQ will only be as good as your weakest link.

Oct 13, 2009 at 8:16 AM Post #25 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drubbing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any open phone will deliver more soundstage than an IEM.

Your wants could describe any number of phones, but suggests a higher end Grado, like the RS2. Although Grado's soundstage is not as wide as some, they are very easy to drive; they deserve, rather than need an amp.

You can do as much research on here, and take as much time as you like, but without hearing anything first, you'll still be taking a punt. And bear in mind, the more comparisons you ask for, the wider the range of differing opinions you will get.

from your last post, the 650 and 702 will need decent amping, and the 325 could have much top end.

Again, you're wasting a lot of money on top line phones if you're not going to consider your source as well (that includes what bitrate you music is at 128kbps is often the downloaders default, and it sucks). Not all great phones will need amping, but SQ will only be as good as your weakest link.

The Grado RS2 is a bit on the expensive side. I'm looking at stuff in the HD650 and k702 price range. It does stink I can't demo any first hand. If I go with the HD650 though, and get it from J&R, they have a 30 day return period, so I could return it if I don't like the sound.

As for the source, I'm still deciding. It will be an mp3 player, but ALL of my music will be ripped in lossless format. Three players I'm considering: Cowon S9 (FLAC), Zune HD (WMA lossless), Ipod Classic 7th gen(via LOD, Apple Lossless).

I have been talking with someone who listens to the same type of music I do. They have the HD650 and the Grado sr325i and recommended the Headroom Micro Amp ($333).

Oct 13, 2009 at 9:25 AM Post #26 of 40
Quote:

The Grado RS2 is a bit on the expensive side. I'm looking at stuff in the HD650 and k702 price range. It does stink I can't demo any first hand. If I go with the HD650 though, and get it from J&R, they have a 30 day return period, so I could return it if I don't like the sound.

But you won't know how good it will sound without a good amplifier. without it may well be unimpressive. I'm not shilling the RS2 because I have one, but such a phone negates the need for a high cost amp.

There's an argument that says a $500 phone that doesn't need amping will buy $500 worth of sound. A $250 phone that needs good quality amp and isn't, or is under-amped, won't deliver $250 worth of sound.

Quote:

As for the source, I'm still deciding. It will be an mp3 player, but ALL of my music will be ripped in lossless format. Three players I'm considering: Cowon S9 (FLAC), Zune HD (WMA lossless), Ipod Classic 7th gen(via LOD, Apple Lossless).

The DAC in a player will still be a bottleneck. You're considering $500 for a phone and amp, and letting a chip costing less than $1 provide the signal?

Oct 13, 2009 at 9:55 AM Post #27 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drubbing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But you won't know how good it will sound without a good amplifier. without it may well be unimpressive. I'm not shilling the RS2 because I have one, but such a phone negates the need for a high cost amp.

There's an argument that says a $500 phone that doesn't need amping will buy $500 worth of sound. A $250 phone that needs good quality amp and isn't, or is under-amped, won't deliver $250 worth of sound.

The DAC in a player will still be a bottleneck. You're considering $500 for a phone and amp, and letting a chip costing less than $1 provide the signal?

What do you suggest I use for a source?

Oct 13, 2009 at 11:11 AM Post #28 of 40
I bought myself a HD650 headphone and am now looking for gear that can rive these cans.
Amp and source as separate components cost more than a 2-in-1 device, but are alleged to provide better sound.

But I don't want to spend even more money on the amp or/and source than i did spend on the headphones.
So i looked for those 2-in1 devices and came up with:
  1. Head-Direct HiFiMAN EF2 Headphone Amplifier review1 review2 @~200USD
  2. Audio-gd Compass FAQ @~300USD

But I really don't know if I should shell out more money for the amp/source than on the headphone itself.

Oct 13, 2009 at 11:34 AM Post #29 of 40
These DAC/AMP combos are a bit confusing to me. What exactly do they do? Is it a better source than an mp3 player? Can a $300 DAC/AMP combo drive the HD650's better than a mp3 player and Headroom Micro Amp? My computer has onboard sound, so not that great, does it matter?

Oct 13, 2009 at 11:51 AM Post #30 of 40
Your Headroom Micro Amp can only amplify what the source is giving him.
So even the "best" amp couldn't improve the overall sound quality when the source is "crap".

If you would really hear the difference between an mp3 player and some other, more costly device as a source, I don't know.
In fact, I don't know if I would hear the difference, but I am in a similar situation like you.
Only that I already got my headphones.

As I said before, amp and source as separate devices are more costly than a 2-in1 device.
The 2 devices I listed in my post above can be connected to your PC via USB, where I will keep all my music.

I would also like to point out, that with two separate devices you will always try to find the weakest link or the "bottle neck" in this chain. Thinking about if you shouldn't have bought the better source or amp.

With an 2-in-1 device, I think, the urge of buying/trying new components is less likely.

But that is only my humble opinion...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back