Full-size $300 "portables"; Audio-Technica, Ultrasone, Phiaton
Dec 28, 2009 at 12:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

grokit

Headphoneus Supremus
I really like my Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9As. They are beautiful, and sound great. They just seem well, fragile, for portable headphones. For actual travel, I was thinking of looking at something potentially more durable. I was wondering if anyone has compared the sound and ergonomics to others in their niche, like specifically how Ultrasone's PRO650 would compare, and how Phiaton's PS500 might stack up as well.

Has anybody out here in Head-Fi land personally heard all three of these cans? Also wondering about the Phiaton MS400, as I am partial to the bright red carbon-fiber look. Seriously, it would match my portable WD hard drive and NuForce DAC, part of my "power outage" setup. To bad I don't have a Ferrari laptop
devil_face.gif

Kidding aside, I really don't have any way to audition any of these "newfangled" cans, and the reason I didn't put the MS400's into the first group is because it is obvious to me that they are very different cans than the PS500s, which have coaxial drivers; please enlighten me someone!

My frame of reference for high-end lay-flat (portable? hope I'm in the right area) closed on-ear headphones is pretty much limited to my beloved ESW9As. Both the Ultrasones and the MS400's fold more compactly than the ESW9As; I am not sure if the MS500s fold down or not, but it looks like they at least lay flat like my ESW9As.

The folding is a durability issue, because that helps them survive the rigors of travel. Mostly, though, I want to know how the sound quality compares.

Dec 28, 2009 at 1:42 PM Post #2 of 10
I had some AT A700's for a while. I liked the sound signature, but they leaked horribly and felt very fragile. I recently took ownership of the pro650's from headroom and absolutely love them over the AT A700's. Not the same models you are looking to compare, but I can add that the Pro 650's are built like a tank compared to the AT A700's I had.

Severum

Dec 28, 2009 at 2:07 PM Post #3 of 10
Phiaton? Another new headphone label to google
smily_headphones1.gif
... Ultrasones are indead very durable so they would fill that criteria at least.

Dec 28, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #5 of 10
Phiaton headphones and their IEMs aren't well known here on head fi. You may find some reviews here and there on headfi but not a whole lot. Have you tried looking at the Senn HD25-1-II? Probably, one of the most durable portable headphones out there.

Dec 29, 2009 at 3:38 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by mythless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Phiaton headphones and their IEMs aren't well known here on head fi. You may find some reviews here and there on headfi but not a whole lot. Have you tried looking at the Senn HD25-1-II? Probably, one of the most durable portable headphones out there.

C'mon, Phiaton? They seem very nice, Korean I think. Anybody
happy_face1.gif
?

Dec 29, 2009 at 6:01 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by grokit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
C'mon, Phiaton? They seem very nice, Korean I think. Anybody
happy_face1.gif
?

They don't get mentioned much here on Head-Fi, I don't know why, but they get attention elsewhere. Here's a Stereophile review of the MS 400 you may not have seen:

Stereophile: Phiaton Moderna MS 400 headphones

If you end up with Phiaton, you can be one of the first Head-Fi boosters of this brand.

Dec 29, 2009 at 6:19 AM Post #9 of 10
lol he won't be the first, I remember reading MarkL's short review on the PS500 and a few more on their IEM. It's gets mentioned but they never become part of the regular roster of recommendations.

Dec 29, 2009 at 7:45 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about some Yuin clip-ons?

thanks, but I can't get used to clip-ons

Users who are viewing this thread

Back