Full sixe phone jack: Whats the best???
Jul 21, 2003 at 4:27 PM Post #3 of 10
As winston61 said, the Neutrik would probably meet your definition of "funky."

NJ3FP6C.jpg

NJ3FP6B.jpg

Jul 21, 2003 at 9:10 PM Post #6 of 10
The locking Neutrik requires very strong pressure on the red metal tab (or an extreme amount of pulling force which overrides the locking mechanism) to remove the plug. It is also bulky.

The combo Neutrik has smooth insertion and removal with bifurcated contacts, but it is bulky and ugly due to the useless XLR silver locking tab and compatibility holes.

The M-Line and Slimline Neutrik have 3 broad metal springs the plug must push past, resulting in 3 stage high pressure clicking insertion and removal.

Cheaper jacks from Neutrik, Switchcraft, and others are generally shunned.

If I were evil overlord, my ideal jack would have smooth, silky operation, multiple contacts to eliminate noise, and a mechanical locking mechanism that is manually engaged with a lever, slider, or button, thus offering the option to lock or not. Perhaps an automatically locking version would also be nice, but in either case, the release mechanism should be effortless to operate.

Jul 21, 2003 at 9:57 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

The locking Neutrik requires very strong pressure

Not very. Just grab the plug with your hand, push the tab down with the thumb and out it goes. Don't even have to think about it anymore, it's just one intuitive fluid motion.
Quote:

on the red metal tab

I could swear it was plastic?
Quote:

(or an extreme amount of pulling force which overrides the locking mechanism) to remove the plug.

I've never tried hard enough to make that happen, somehow I fear I'd tear the amp apart before the jack would let go.
Quote:

It is also bulky.

Indeed. And not that easy to mount. Has that purposeful look going for it, though.

Jul 21, 2003 at 10:19 PM Post #8 of 10
Hi PeterR, I disagree with your assessment of the pressure required to actuate the red tab. I have tried several of them. They all require enough force to dent my thumb nearly to the point of pain, leaving visible grooves in my skin. Perhaps this is a guy/girl thing. Definitely not user-friendly in my book. Your mileage may vary.

Jul 21, 2003 at 10:39 PM Post #9 of 10
Yeah, it's a very manly headphone jack
wink.gif

But seriously, I think its more a matter of technique than force.
I see your point however, not everybody will find it comfortable.

Jul 22, 2003 at 9:20 AM Post #10 of 10
Hurts my finger to push the tab in; I've been wondering whether or not I really want to use it. I paid 8 bucks for it, so I may as well throw it in. My main concern is that I will dent the front panel of the Hammond case I intend to buy to house the amp...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back