Full rigs for Trance music with AKG K501 or K1000 headphones
Jul 17, 2005 at 12:30 AM Post #16 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma
Seems that you have to be damned rich to save some money .........
icon10.gif

I am poorer than most people. 90% of everything I now own are related to audio, I also eat beans to save money.
icon10.gif
I am a true audiophile, I don't have a life.
k1000smile.gif

Jul 17, 2005 at 12:30 AM Post #17 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82
Yes, batteries would be the best option. My Krell amp takes 150+ watts so that is a problem.
biggrin.gif
The battery would need to weigh many pounds for only a few minutes of listening!
eek.gif

At least the T-amp is quite easy to be powered by a battrey, but even powering your Krell is doable.A friend of mine is utilizing batteries for his power amps, two huge sealed car batteries and a transformer is all you need and what you get is not minutes but many hours.

Jul 17, 2005 at 12:33 AM Post #18 of 44
Quote:

At least the T-amp is quite easy to be powered by a battrey, but even powering your Krell is doable.A friend of mine is utilizing batteries for his power amps, two huge sealed car batteries and a transformer is all you need and what you get is not minutes but many hours.

How much do the car batteries and the transformer cost?

Jul 17, 2005 at 12:44 AM Post #19 of 44
Quote:

How much do the car batteries and the transformer cost?

I don't know exactly, but I remember something like 500 Euros.
That's obviously no serious problem, but a new wife can get expensive.
"Darling, unfortunately I had to throw the furnitures away, I needed the place for those cute batteries."

Jul 17, 2005 at 1:17 AM Post #20 of 44
Quote:

I don't know exactly, but I remember something like 500 Euros.
That's obviously no serious problem, but a new wife can get expensive.
"Darling, unfortunately I had to throw the furnitures away, I needed the place for those cute batteries."

A true audiophile doesn't have a wife and will never have one.
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Jul 17, 2005 at 1:24 AM Post #21 of 44
Quote:

Not only did it improve the detail and bass, it also removed the last small traces of harshness and brightness in my system.

I am still blown away from the Valhalla power cord for my amp. I noticed it also gave a lot more transparency! When I close my eyes it feels like the sounds are inside my room, it is so scary I can feel the adrenaline pumping in my body!
eek.gif
This rig is too scary to listen to with eyes closed.
icon10.gif
Perhaps with enough time I get used to this!

Jul 17, 2005 at 2:34 AM Post #22 of 44
Very interesting - my first round of mods on the Solo brought it up to 2005 spec, and as you said it just had that magical synergy with the K501, including bringing out that bass. The Grados seemed to want more oomph tho. So Lan put in big caps in the PSU, bootstrapped the Solo, etc etc and now it's perfectly tuned for my Grados - but it revolts against the K501 (in fact the very same pair of cans, just sounds wonky!)

In case anyone's interested, Pinkie didn't seem to have enough oomph to flesh out the K340, and sounded a bit thin with the K1000. Yes, Pinkie drove both, but other amps seemed to do better with them. In other words, Pinkie is a Grado guy, and AKG is the arch enemy of my amp!
eek.gif
600smile.gif
eek.gif

Jul 17, 2005 at 5:02 AM Post #23 of 44
Quote:

Do you know if there are other choices that has the same speed as the DAC1?

I don't have much experience with any DAC's that would be as fast and have better bass response... CD players yes, but DAC's no. I'm sure if you ask on here someone will know of a few contenders though. Quote:

I did not use any PSU with the T-Amp, I just plugged it into the wall using an adapter!

Like a wallwart you mean? You should see a significant improvement using a regulated linear PSU... they usually cost ~$20-$50. Quote:

I like the airy speaker sound I get with my K1000, I often forget I have them on my head! Sounds float in space and there is only the music around you! You can't get this with headphones.

I beg to differ... I get the same effect with the K340 quite often.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 17, 2005 at 5:53 AM Post #24 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
I get the same effect with the K340 quite often.
smily_headphones1.gif

Ya, but you still have the earpads touching the head, the k1000 just floats away..
biggrin.gif

ooh I love all the AKG love floating around nowadays...... am just waiting to see what AKG brings out in terms of a new headphone in the audiophile class ala a cross between the K340/K1000 sort of with the K501 mids of course.

Jul 17, 2005 at 1:29 PM Post #25 of 44
The K501 mids? Why would you want those.
tongue.gif

They are good, but the K340 spanks them in that department from what I've heard. [under meet conditions mind you]

Yeah, I suppose the K340 does have earpads... not too much you can do about that.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 29, 2005 at 7:22 PM Post #27 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by RMgX
By filtering I suppose you mean taking out ac out of the dc ( or taking out unwanted frequencies from dc ), but isn't this something you'd do after/in the psu anyway, and it seems you could do it a lot cheaper with electrical components than special wire. Another option would of course be to use batteries.

From PS Audio site:

"What comes out of your home's wall socket is AC power. AC stands for Alternating Current, which simply means that power alternates between plus and minus voltage, unlike power delivered from a battery which has a fixed plus and minus voltage. Batteries deliver DC which stands for Direct Current."

"Regardless of how well a transformer is made it's best to keep the DC out of it. Transformers with DC on them have core saturation problems, some amount of mechanical noise and lowered efficiency."

From Nordost site:

"Extruded FEP insulation is superior to all other materials in that it has very low signal loss and a high thermal efficiency meaning that it dissipates heat very quickly. This allows greater power to be transferred more efficiently."

"Dual Micro Mono-Filament technology increases current flow, improves the transmission speed to over 90% the speed of light and dissipates heat. This design lowers the resistance of the cable keeping power loss extremely low."

Hmm, it wasn't all about filtering, it is mostly about signal loss. The power output from the Power Plant should not have any DC on it. So if you would use batteries you would still need a better power cord for it, unless you put the battery inside the equipment.

Jul 29, 2005 at 7:55 PM Post #29 of 44
Quote:

For $77 I will certainly try it!

Ok, I tried it, delivery took a week to Sweden. I applied it to almost everything in my rig, for the pins of the tubes in my CD player too. I noticed the difference in detail and transparency between the solid-state and tube-output got smaller. Now I prefer tubes for ALL albums!

About 6 hours after I had applied QuickSilver Contact Enhancer I felt sore in my throat, 2 days later I had to go to hospital (throat furuncle)
eek.gif
. This may be a coincidence but I haven't needed penicillin for 14 years. Can anyone else confirm a sore throat? $77 + $120 for hospital was certainly worth it anyway.
k1000smile.gif
I was careful when applying the QuickSilver so it took 4 hours, I had the can of QuickSilver open the whole time, perhaps I was breathing it in... Seems that the Enhancer doesn't work well for the human body.
rolleyes.gif

So far I have noticed increased transparency, detail, wider soundstage, more natural sounding. It sounds better. Or maybe it is the penicillin, sometimes it feels like I'm floating in air...
tongue.gif

Edit: I have made 3 more treatments and had no problems with the throat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back