Full review: Ultrasone Proline 2500
Feb 15, 2005 at 8:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

backdrifter

100+ Head-Fier
edit

Feb 15, 2005 at 11:30 PM Post #2 of 6
Though I have far less equipment and experience than you do, my quick conclusion - from a pure construction and feel point of view - was that it was over priced as well. Some people seem to have fairly good experiences with the lower end models.

Feb 16, 2005 at 1:35 AM Post #3 of 6
edit

Feb 16, 2005 at 6:26 AM Post #4 of 6
that reminds me, my cable would not stay in the 'phones very securely and they would blink out if they were not in just right. really crappy quality. They were also very uncomfortable on my head to the point of slight pain - prolly wouldn't have been if i had let them break in a bit - but as my first set of hi-fi phones i was far too disappointed, and have turned to head-fi since to educate myself before i take another plunge of that magnitude.

Feb 16, 2005 at 4:58 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gigabomber
Some people seem to have fairly good experiences with the lower end models.

Slightly off topic - my reasons to like HFI 550:

• They mate very well with ipod or pcdp most likely due to insufficient power that tend to make regular phones sound too bright. I can listen to 550 for longer time compared to hd25-1 where fatigue creeps in sooner.
• On senns I prefer darker sound of 650 compared to brighter 580, so in this case 550 more like 650ish while 25-1 are like 580.
• While I could use extra HF extension on 550, their overall sound is more balanced compared to HFI 650's slightly metallic and sharper treble.
• Vocals sound more natural compared to 'boosted' mids on 271s, and
• There's not much good closed phones selection here to start with.

I agree that Ultrasone's retail prices are way too high. Best reason for my purchase is that I got 550 at great discount down to $95. There's no way I will buy them at a price so near to 595 - which are lightyears apart in term of sonic resolution.

Nov 19, 2006 at 7:04 PM Post #6 of 6
That was a terrible review. Didn't tell me a damn thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back