Full/mid size portable 'phones? (not IEM or earbuds)
Jun 10, 2011 at 5:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Rassilon

Head-Fier
Hi Gang,

after a several year hiatus of spending money on headphones, i caught the bug again, no thanks to you guys! :p

I'm looking for some new portable headphones for travel, mostly airplane, bu also occasional bus/train commuting, etc.
I currently have Etymotic ER-4P (with p -> s adapter), and ER-6i.  I like them, but I'm considering moving away from IEMs/earbuds, for hopefully better comfort (particularly for longer term wear), less microphonics, and easier to remove/put back on.

So my question is really in two parts:

What are your general opinions/thoughts/experiences/comments about using closed on-ear headphones as portable travel cans?
I'd be mostly using them for air travel, but also occasionally on bus/train/in public areas.  Not expecting IEM level isolation, but have you been satisfied with the level of isolation you can get from this type?

Which headphones do you recommend? 
My current front runner is the Beyerdynamic DT-1350, but also recently came across the Audio Technica ATH-ES10. (and ESW10, but that seems to be limited production, hard to find and expensive).  How do those compare? particularly in size/isolation?  Any others i should consider?

Isolation, comfort and size/portability are of high importance.  Budget is ~$500 or less (but would certainly prefer less!)
My music preferences are pretty broad, but Metal (Arch Enemy, Pantera) and industrial (Rammstein) are my favorites.  Also listen to some electronica, dance, hip-hop, rock, alternative, pop (mostly JPop), even a bit of classical.

I'll be running them off a latest gen iPod Nano, with LOD to a pico slim amp (which is still on the way...)

Other phones i have for reference/comparisons:
Home setup: iMac -> HRT Music Streamer II -> Meier Audio Corda Prehead-1 -> Sennheiser HD600 / Ultrasone PRO 900
Office setup: iPod nano or iPhone -> Sennheiser HD238 (will use them with the pico slim when it arrives)
Previous portable setup: iPod 2G -> headroom total airhead -> Ety ER-4P (havent used this in a long while)/ ipod nano/ipod shuffle -> ER-6i

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back