Full Length Albums With Short Total Play Times
Apr 18, 2006 at 8:31 PM Post #16 of 37
Slayers Reign in Blood is 29:03 and 12 tracks long. Best speed metal album of all time
k1000smile.gif

Apr 18, 2006 at 9:05 PM Post #17 of 37
Would Agoraphobic Nosebleed - Altered States of America count? 100 tracks (one hidden before the start of track 1, so you have to rewind from the beginning), yet it comes in under 22 minutes. It's on a 3 inch disc.

Yes, it's a gimmicky album, why do you ask?
tongue.gif

In more sane genres, Depeche Mode's album Some Great Reward is just a shade longer than 40 minutes.

Apr 19, 2006 at 1:57 AM Post #19 of 37
One of the worst things to happen to popular music was the invention of the cd. 74 ir 80 minutes is WAY too long for an albums, Its like a four hour movie. The ideal album length is 40-50 minutes.

Nashville Skyline is under 30 if i recall correctly. Most pre-cd albums never came close to 50 minutes.

Apr 19, 2006 at 2:16 AM Post #21 of 37
I can think of a TON of albums with really short times. Just about every moderately mainstream punk album clocks anywhere between 23 and 35 minutes.

A few albums from the Hives, Propagandhi, Kinks (not punk), etc...

Of course, this type of music works in the short and sweet format. I think an album should be as long as the album should be. It's the artist's decision to create something that feels neither drawn-out nor like they're ripping us off! :701smile:.

Apr 19, 2006 at 7:08 AM Post #23 of 37
Traffic - The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys is under 38 minutes long, and it's a damned good album!

What was wonderful about music released on vinyl is that many artists had trouble cutting material to fit the time limitations of an LP because so much of their material was pure quality! Now, artists struggle to fit the expected length of their CDs, and thus struggle to produce material to fit these time slots.

Is it better to have not enough quality, or too much filler?

Apr 19, 2006 at 9:00 AM Post #25 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by sethsez
Would Agoraphobic Nosebleed - Altered States of America count? 100 tracks (one hidden before the start of track 1, so you have to rewind from the beginning), yet it comes in under 22 minutes. It's on a 3 inch disc.

Yes, it's a gimmicky album, why do you ask?
tongue.gif

In more sane genres, Depeche Mode's album Some Great Reward is just a shade longer than 40 minutes.

oh yeah, totally forgot about the hidden track! *puts on anb, and rwwinds...

Apr 19, 2006 at 11:38 AM Post #26 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Denim
I agree that album (CD) lengths have grown a bit. When cassettes were the popular choice for recording for home and car systems, very few albums exceeded 45 minutes. It was a common practice to use a 90 minute cassette and put an album on each side. It was pretty rare if an album didn't fit on one side of a cassette.

In my youth I used to use the turntable speed adjustment to slightly speed up albums that were just over 45 minutes. Otherwise I would have to resort to a C60 and have to do lots of fast-forward at the end of each side. A couple of years ago I dumped all my non-original cassettes as they just never got played.

I seem to remember Don McLean's American Pie being pretty short.

Apr 19, 2006 at 2:00 PM Post #28 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Headphony
Pretty much anything from the LP era is going to be relatively short, no?

A 33 1/3 RPM LP should be able to hold a half hour of music on each side...though back then I suppose most records were about 40 minutes or so in length.

Just to make it more interesting then, let's just limit entries to less than 30 minutes of total run time.

Apr 19, 2006 at 2:06 PM Post #29 of 37
Although an LP could hold that much, my understanding is the sound quality decreases with the amount of music on the LP. Packing 60 minutes on there will make it sound like crap. Which is why they aimed for 40-45 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back