Full featured program that streams FLAC?
Apr 13, 2018 at 2:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

music_man

Headphoneus Supremus
I have tried everything with Jriver to stream flac from the internet. It just won't. Unless I miss some little thing. Certainly not upgrading to 24 with this problem. HQplayer is not what I would call full featured. I can deal with Foobar. Roon absolutely does not outside of Tidal afaik. I want basically everything you get in Jriver. Most important is good audio and remote control(mce). Then album art and everything else. Maybe someone could get it working on Jriver. If not can anyone recommend a new program? I just want focus on good audio, could care less about video. Do not mind if it has it so long as audio quality is top notch. Part of that is flac! Also the setup needs to be intuitive. Not sure what there is. Happy with Jriver but no flac streaming is a deal breaker. I have wdm on and all the other tricks. I think pretty much time for a player that focuses on audio but HQplayer for instance does not have MCE afaik. Suggestions?

Apr 13, 2018 at 10:19 PM Post #2 of 5
Nevermind. Glad I did not purchase 24 but to be honest $50 is fair for it. HQplayer is like $175 and overall does much less. It attempts to implement some filters like Chord DAVE but is way short of DAVE. Let's be fair though it is better than nothing if you have a $500 dac.

So anyways after 2 weeks messing with Jriver which honestly means it simply will not play this if you know me. I had Foobar working fine all setup. skinned to my liking everything the way I want it in 15 minutes.
I could have had stock Foobar working in 1 minute. Okay, I know how to use it. Nothing wrong with it really and I have to hand it to them giving it away. Foobar 11.5mb. Jriver 58.1mb plus now requires a process kill script to keep start alive which is 2.3mb. Not that it matters on today's drive sizes. I do like lite footprint. First of all Foobar just sounds better but that is subjective. What is not is 2.6mbps flac vs 280 AAC on Jriver. Yes, I know it will play flac,ogg. Not in this particular proprietary container. The sound difference just due to the bitrate is phenomenal of course. Foobar is not my favorite but I am not complaining for free. Jriver obviously is not perfect either and neither are any of them to be frank. For now I will take free. There is more flac coming and maybe even dsd streaming as internet speeds keep increasing. Luckily I do not have a cap or throttle with 2gbps service. Since if you left 2.6mbps on 24/7 for a month and say you had a 500mb cap well you do the math. remember you are going to do other things too. The connection is rock solid too, no dropouts in the last few hours. in 2018 people have the bandwidth mostly.

Well that is the end of this story for now. Foobar is actually the best but there is a steep learning curve and a lot of work getting it setup. the thing that makes it so difficult, plugins is the very thing that makes it so useful.

Also don't waste money on audio optimizers. shut off the services and tweak the registry yourself. Be warned I suggested it if you know how. If you don't, plan on reinstalling Windows.

This is playing through very high end equipment and is for certain redbook quality. In fact this is spectacular for a stream. A lot of mp3 streams are not stable.

That's that but not in the least displeased.

Apr 20, 2018 at 8:58 AM Post #4 of 5
@music_man -- did you use the wdm option in jriver? if you do so, you can stream internet sourced material through jriver and take advantage of its capabilities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back