Fujitsu S2020: can someone help?
Mar 27, 2005 at 11:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

uzziah

Headphoneus Supremus
i'm considering purchasing one of these
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

and wondering if some of the computer folk here could help me with a couple questions. i've asked elsewhere but no response

1. can i remove teh 1900+ processor and replace with 2500+?
2. any idea how gentoo linux would run on this?

the main reason i'm specifically considering this one is that the guy lives in my town.

Mar 28, 2005 at 2:40 AM Post #2 of 6
Fujitsu makes good computers...but onto the point...

Laptop CPUs are generally soldered straight onto the motherboard with custom bios settings, etc. Changing it isn't a possibility.

As for Linux, it has pretty standard stuff, so if it runs on other computers it should...but I have no experience doing this.

Mar 28, 2005 at 2:53 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by D-EJ915
Fujitsu makes good computers...but onto the point...

Laptop CPUs are generally soldered straight onto the motherboard with custom bios settings, etc. Changing it isn't a possibility.

As for Linux, it has pretty standard stuff, so if it runs on other computers it should...but I have no experience doing this.

i'm not so sure about that. are you positive? i've heard that one can upgrade cpu's in the same family, and no one has mentioned soldering

not that soldering is a problem

Mar 28, 2005 at 3:04 AM Post #4 of 6
Never heard of a cpu being direct soldered to the mobo (Via chips being the exception) As long as the board/bios can accomodate the higher FSB speed there shouldn't be a problem...

Mar 28, 2005 at 3:44 AM Post #6 of 6
uhhh. more cpu power always bring more heat? the set voltage on teh 2500+ is 1.45v AND i plan to UNDERVOLT

what's the set voltage on the 1900+. i can't seem to find it. should i be concerned with something other than voltage?? that seems to be the main thing . hummm the 1900+ is 1.67ghz, and the 2500+ is 1.83ghz. maybe it's just not worth my time, but i was thinking upgrading and undervolting would be the trick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back