Fujisan by Telos Acoustics - impressions, review, and question thread
Dec 2, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #16 of 17
If anyone had backed the  Kickstarter campaign back in the summer and forgotten about it like me, you may have received an UPS shipping notice from Headroom Corporation today for a package weighting 1.1 LBS.
Well, that's the Telos premium in ear.

Looking forwards to testing it with the iPhone and Hugo.

Dec 19, 2015 at 6:43 AM Post #17 of 17
Here are my thoughts. I'm new here but I wanted to put in my 2 cents on the fujisans.

design: 
overall, beautiful presentation and packaging. They look classy and feel sturdy. The metal detailing on the plug and the controller is really classy. The plug is also thin enough to fit through my phone case which is great. I appreciate that attention to detail. I liked the different color tips provided too. I chose orange to give it a sporty feel. They're also easier to spot on a table that way too. haha. They cable is classy and fairly tangle free which is appreciated. Microphonics are an issue though that should be addressed. Especially if these are going to be marketed as high end "active" headphones. They're not TERRIBLE but definitely noticeable when moving around. The clip provided helps a bit with that. Also, not as a big deal is that the cables runs along the sides of my face because the stems are so long. I noticed it at first but you quickly get used to it. not a fan of that though.

4.5/5 if it weren't for the microphonics.

fit:
I was used to the deep etymotic fit so this was a pretty big change for me. but after I got used to them I have to say they feel amazing. I fell asleep in them once and didn't wake up with my ear all achy. I would actually say they're somewhat of a hybrid between IEMs and earbuds. It actually blows my mind how they stay in place even when running and jumping because they don't feel like they're snug in my ear. That just means there are no pressure points anywhere which make them super comfortable. 
what they're not: deep fitting and well isolating. They don't isolate much better than say a full-sized closed-back set of cans. 
what they are: super comfortable and amazingly stable in the ear even during exercise. 
5/5 for what they are. 

sound: 
Alright. this is it. how do they sound? I will preface this by saying I have never experienced such a dramatic sound change after a burn in. Straight out of the box they sounded cold and harsh. It sounded like someone look a horrible quality EQ and boosted the hell out of 9-10K. I wanted to cry. 

Jump to 3 days into the future after about 50 hours of burn in. All I can say is I am SOOO relieved. The bass is prominent and warm. Mids are smooth. and the highs have cleared up substantially. After a lot of listening, to my ears these perform the best with more minimalist music. Acoustic, some dance, jazz..etc. Acoustic and jazz are smooth and warm. dance is crisp and the bass can thump pretty good. I would say though that these suffer with "wall of sound" type music like modern rock. Sure, by nature modern rock is harsher and colder due to all the digitalization and compression but I feel like the fujisans can't handle all those frequencies thrown at it all at once. The bass and even some of the mids give way to the highs so the overall sound presentation starts to sound clangy and harsh. That may be be the limitations of a single driver. who knows.
Overall sound signature: bass is warm and extends deep. borderline boomy sometimes but never gets unpleasant. mids are smooth and probably the best part of these. can sometimes be overshadowed by the highs if there is too much going on sonically. Highs are bit of a mixed bag for me. If there is too much going on, I feel like they get a bit harsh and too bright. Otherwise, the highs are fantastic. They are crisp. They have great attack and sound really snappy. If not too much is going on then they can be actually pretty smooth. I wouldn't categorize these are airy though as they don't extend super high. I don't know any IEMs that really do though unless you're talking super high end. 
soundstage: actually pretty wide. I'm happy with it. wider than my etymotics (6i) but narrower than my full sized sennheisers (HD 595).
and if I were to choose between laid back and up front then I would definitely say these are more in your face. Everything comes out and is presented like you're in the front row. That's not good or bad, just preference I guess. For my taste it's a little TOO in your face. I wish they would dial in down a little sometimes. 
so my rating? 
sometimes 4.5/5
sometimes 3.5/5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back