Fujifilm Finepix f30/f31fd appreciation thread!
Jun 16, 2009 at 8:15 AM Post #16 of 34
5Mp for this sensor size was the sweet spot for quality. If Fuji were to reintroduce an new f30, I'm sure they'd clean up. Shame the megapixel race makes people think more is better.

Jun 16, 2009 at 2:11 PM Post #17 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
F30 here, also the best point and shoot for me as well. I have no plans to replace it. Works like a charm. I even have people here and on ebay asking what kind of camera I use.

You guys use the Fuji Color setting or standard? I like the Fuji Color setting.

The fuji colour setting gives a nice effect on some pictures,but i find it a bit too saturated so i use the normal one.

If i want a little more colour saturation then i slightly post proccess in a simple program(not even photoshop)and i am ok!

Jun 16, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #18 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by spookygonk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
5Mp for this sensor size was the sweet spot for quality. If Fuji were to reintroduce an new f30, I'm sure they'd clean up. Shame the megapixel race makes people think more is better.

I wonder why fuji doesn't introduce a new compact camera with a 2/3 sensor,8 megapixel max(or 9 but not more),image stabiliser,manual controls,raw,more settings(image parameterss)a similar battery as the f30,an excellent lcd screen and better image quality and top class high iso performance(for compact cameras)I would immediatelly buy one even if i had to give 600 euros.

But it's what you said:megapixel and marketing tricks
frown.gif

Jun 16, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #19 of 34
Well, Panasonic seems to have done something like that with the LX3. They limited the MP's, put on a fast lens, with manual control, RAW, etc. Essentially more of a photographer's camera than a mass market camera. By most accounts it has been very successful. So hopefully that will lead the market to produce more cameras in that vein.

Jun 16, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #20 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, Panasonic seems to have done something like that with the LX3. They limited the MP's, put on a fast lens, with manual control, RAW, etc. Essentially more of a photographer's camera than a mass market camera. By most accounts it has been very successful. So hopefully that will lead the market to produce more cameras in that vein.

Yeah i thing the lx3 is a serious photographer camera,i once handle it for a while and it's build quilaty is really very good(better than f30/f31)
Although i have never seen one in operation or some printed images from this camera,i have seen a few full size images from dpreview,imaging resource and some other web sites and i think it's image quality is very nice,natural,and the noise is ok at iso 400(it seems a bit worse compared to f30 though)
But it have the advantage of a faster lens and image stabiliser so i suppose you can shoot at iso 200 in that cases.

I forgot to mention something else regarding my f30 and f31fd:

1)First the lens of the f31 fd is tack sharp from centre to edges at the two extreme zoom settings(wide and tele)but softens up a little at all the others positions of the lens,at the left side(especially in left down corner)I told fuji here in greece about that but they couldn't do anything,they said it's product variation.
It doesn't happen in all shots though and it seems to be the same if i close the aperture.It gets only a bit better at f8.

The f30 didn't have this problem though.It only softens up very slightly at both edges but it's very minor.

2)iso 800 at f31fd is considerably better than f30.It's almost as noisy as the iso 400 in f30.But it's a bit more artificial looking due to greater sharpenning and noise reduction.So the iso 400 in f30 is better than the iso 800 in f31fd.
but the iso 800 in f31fd is less noisy and still detailed,better than the f30

3)I find the screen of the f31fd to be not as good as the f30's.At first look it seems to be better but it's not.It is more contrasty and the colours are more saturated(red channel clipping)and it's difficult to find the right brightness setting because the steps in brightness setting are too big.

Jun 17, 2009 at 8:25 AM Post #25 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks! Just wondering, is that the max size from the camera?

No the camera is a 6mp camera(2848*2136),but i down-sized them using a simple program(microsoft office picture manager).Sorry,but i don,t have a pc at home with photoshop and i'm in my technical college now using a pc at the internet room.
I notice that after the downside they don't look so good here but i'm not very experienced with photoshop and more complicated programs,sorry
frown.gif

Jun 17, 2009 at 9:02 AM Post #27 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No they are nice. If you are not into higher shutter speed I think this camera is perfectly fine.

The pictures here look more noisy than they actually are and the overall quality doesn't seem good either.Maybe it's the way i resized them.
All of them were initialy at 6mp fine setting(almost 3 mb each)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back