Fubar (or other low-cost DAC) vs. X-Fi Xtreme?
Aug 31, 2006 at 10:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

tomjonesrocks

100+ Head-Fier
I was told in another forum that my X-Fi Extreme is holding my rig back, and that if I want to experience "texture" in my headphones, I should consider a DAC instead.

I could afford an inexpensive DAC, but as I'm using a low (or medium depending on your perspective) cost amp, it seems like it doesn't make sense to go to a super high end DAC.

The question is, would a Fubar be a significant upgrade? If not, would another DAC (under $250) be a significant upgrade over what I have going with the X-Fi?

Thanks.

Sep 1, 2006 at 7:03 PM Post #2 of 2
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomjonesrocks
I was told in another forum that my X-Fi Extreme is holding my rig back, and that if I want to experience "texture" in my headphones, I should consider a DAC instead.

I could afford an inexpensive DAC, but as I'm using a low (or medium depending on your perspective) cost amp, it seems like it doesn't make sense to go to a super high end DAC.

The question is, would a Fubar be a significant upgrade? If not, would another DAC (under $250) be a significant upgrade over what I have going with the X-Fi?

Thanks.

Sorry I do not know what kind of output jack X-Fi has. Let's assume that it has digital output, then either Zhaolu 2.0 or DAC-AH could be great choice, and both of them fit your budget pretty well. My experience with Fubar DAC was significantly worse than Zhaolu. Hope it helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back