Fubar III Line Out Volume control
Feb 11, 2008 at 9:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

pkshiu

100+ Head-Fier
I got a Fubar III and just started using it with my iMac. It feeds into a mini galaxy tube amp. I got the III because sometimes I am too lazy to fire up the tube amp, and would just use the built in amp in the III. However I just realized that the line out of the Fubar III is controlled by the volume pot on the front. So now I have two volume settings to worry about. Any suggestions on the best approach to setting the volume?

Thanks,
P.K.

Feb 12, 2008 at 12:46 AM Post #2 of 10
I don't really understand what you are trying to accomplish. How are you using the Fubar III without volume control?

.... Regardless, I think it's possible to bypass the volume pot via a internal dip switch but I'm not 100% sure on that so you may want to check it out.

Feb 12, 2008 at 3:25 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Operandi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't really understand what you are trying to accomplish. How are you using the Fubar III without volume control?

.... Regardless, I think it's possible to bypass the volume pot via a internal dip switch but I'm not 100% sure on that so you may want to check it out.

My "real" headphone amp is a full headphone amp with it's own volume control. So sometimes I use the fubar as a DAC+headphone amp, sometimes I use it as DAC only, feeding the "real" amp.

It will be cool if there is a switch.

Feb 13, 2008 at 2:59 AM Post #4 of 10
Hi,

I recently just purchased a Fubar III and I am currently waiting for it to arrive for my SR325i. How do you like your Fubar III? Any insights for me regarding this amp/dac combo will be great! thanx!

Feb 20, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by lisztian420 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

I recently just purchased a Fubar III and I am currently waiting for it to arrive for my SR325i. How do you like your Fubar III? Any insights for me regarding this amp/dac combo will be great! thanx!

I like it. It's a good value. I do not have much to compare it too -- the USB + DAC definitely sounds better than analog out from my iMac.

However -- I opened it out, moved the DIP switches to the other position, and the volume pot still controls the line out at the back. Anyone knows what should I do?

Feb 20, 2008 at 4:19 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by pkshiu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However -- I opened it out, moved the DIP switches to the other position, and the volume pot still controls the line out at the back. Anyone knows what should I do?

I think you may be out of luck there sadly. Firestone Audio has their own forums, you could try there though.

Feb 20, 2008 at 4:38 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Operandi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you may be out of luck there sadly. Firestone Audio has their own forums, you could try there though.

Yeah. I emailed them as well. Let's see what I get back. I noticed that you have a Cute Beyond in your sig. It's a similar amp with the same DIP switch on the board as the Fubar III. have you played with the DIP switches?

I actually looked at the board a little, and it appears that they (left and right, two DIP switches) changes one leg of the volume POT to something, but I cannot fully see the traces on the board to figure out what it is doing.

P.K.

Feb 20, 2008 at 5:28 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by pkshiu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah. I emailed them as well. Let's see what I get back. I noticed that you have a Cute Beyond in your sig. It's a similar amp with the same DIP switch on the board as the Fubar III. have you played with the DIP switches?

I actually looked at the board a little, and it appears that they (left and right, two DIP switches) changes one leg of the volume POT to something, but I cannot fully see the traces on the board to figure out what it is doing.

P.K.

I haven't messed with the inside of the Cute yet, just the Spitfire. From what I've read the dip switch is supposed to be a shunt to bypass pot entirely. To me that sounds like it should apply to both the headphone amp section and the pre-out but I could be wrong.

Feb 20, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #9 of 10
Well, I got an reply from Todd from Audiophile products (where I bought my Fubar III), good customer service, but I am out of luck regarding the line out:

The difference between shunt and series is how the circuit "sees" the volume
control. In the series position the volume control is in series in the audio
circuit. In the shunt position the volume control is in parallel in the
circuit. One position is not necessarily better than the other. A slight
change in sound can be heard by some people. It does not turn off or defeat
the volume control it only changes how the circuit sees it.

If you want to evaluate the two positions we suggest trying one position for
about a week or so and get a really good feel for the sound. Then switch and
try the other position for about a week and then switch back again. That
should tell you if you have a preference for one or the other.

I also use the Fubar III as a DAC to my amplifier. For best results choose
the "gain" position "hi" or "low" on the back of the Fubar III that puts the
volume knob on the Fubar III at its midpoint (12:00) when your amplifier is
adjusted to your desired listening level.

Oh well. I still like my little Fubar though.

P.K.

Feb 22, 2008 at 1:55 AM Post #10 of 10
Ah, I see.

It would be nice if they had a set of line outs in addition to the pre-out but the advice of just setting the volume knob in position and leaving it should work out fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back