Fubar II USB DAC came in
Nov 28, 2005 at 10:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Veniogenesis

Headphoneus Supremus
- No photos yet! I don't have a digital camera.
frown.gif

- Impressions to come soon.

Long, blog-like story follows below:

The Story

There has been a lot of talk about Firestone Audio equipment over the past few months here at Head-Fi. I've noticed a lot of praise for their cute little amplifiers and DACs. I had been looking for a nice external USB DAC for a few months now, but nothing really lept out at me. My budget ranged from just $100 up to $300.

When Firestone Audio became a Head-Fi sponsor, I visited their website a few times and then soon forgot about them in the back of mind. I had read 6moon's positive review about their amplifier, but an amplifier wasn't exactly what I was interested in.

Last Tuesday (11/22/2005), I happened to come across the NYC Mini Meet 11-20-05 Thread and decided to visit the Firestone Audio website once again. To my surprise, I didn't know that Firestone Audio was based in Taiwan! I called my dad, who was going to leave Taipei for San Jose on Wednesday, and gave him the Taipei address on the Firestone Audio website. I told him to check out the Fubar II USB DAC for me. A hour later, he called back and told me that he had bought it for me! Yays!

My dad was going to stay in San Jose for a week, but he decided mail it to me via USPS Priority. Sweet.

The DAC just came in about 10 minutes ago. Impressions to follow! Sorry for the long story.
wink.gif

Impressions

11/28/2005 - I've opened the box and going to hook it up. Let's see what this little thing can do.

Cheers,
Venio

Nov 29, 2005 at 3:00 AM Post #5 of 21
I ordered one a week or two back, mostly because I talked to Jahn about it since he got to listen to it at the last NYC meet. So I went ahead and ordered one and I must say, I'm really enjoying it, especially for it's price range, I'd give a detailed review, but I honestly don't believe that I have the knowledge of other DAC's enough to give an accurate one. However, I will be keeping this for listening through my computer, even though I plan on upgrading and getting a primary player, upgrading the amp, etc. I think that the Fubar and the Gilmore Lite is pretty nice for a little computer setup.

Though mine is not red, it is a gunmetal silver face, which actually I'm quite happy with.

Nov 29, 2005 at 3:13 AM Post #6 of 21
Two words.

Pictures.

Please.
biggrin.gif

Nov 29, 2005 at 3:21 AM Post #7 of 21
Is there a usb option on it?

Cheers

Nov 29, 2005 at 3:28 AM Post #8 of 21
There is only a USB option on it, as they offer two different DAC's, a USB one and a Coax/Optical one. I really only wanted the DAC for my computer and only really for USB, so it works out fine for me. Here are some pictures...

Sorry on that last one, shakey hands do not equal a great picture
frown.gif

Edit:
Sorry about the hijack, Venio, but I figured I'd post pictures since you said you don't have a digital camera.

Nov 29, 2005 at 5:01 PM Post #9 of 21
How does it sound? I'm on the verge of buying one and I'm more or less waiting to see what you have to say about it.

Nov 30, 2005 at 4:08 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veniogenesis
Bah, sorry everyone.
tongue.gif
I said "soon", but I can't really seem to find much to say about it. It's an awesome DAC for the price, that's for sure, but I'm still trying to figure out what to say about it.
biggrin.gif

Sorries and regards,
Venio

Smooth sound, or harsh? Quality of the highs, is it edgy? Bass in nice quantity, or is it bass-shy? Are the mids fully present? How does it handle massed violins? Piano notes fully represented? How are the macro and microdynamics? Any background hiss when the music is paused? Etc.

Nov 30, 2005 at 4:21 PM Post #14 of 21
I received my Fubar last week, and have done some ***limited*** comparison listening, matching it against a Headroom Microdac being fed ALAC files from a laptop. No giant killer here but a very nice DAC for the money. To my ears, sound not as full as the Microdac, some minor "edge" to the sound, perhaps due to slight de-emphasis of mids and slight edge to the highs. Some less detail. To me the Microdac wins hands down, but remember, the cost of the Fubar is HALF the Microdac, delivered. And the Fubar's sound is miles and miles and miles ahead of any on-board computer dac I've ever heard. Definately to be considered by the cost conscious (read sane) Head-Fier.

Dec 1, 2005 at 1:28 PM Post #15 of 21
Do you need administrator privledges to install the Fubar USB DAC? I am thinking of getting on for use at work, but I do not have admin right on my laptop (Win2000).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back