Fubar II, in grey
Jan 24, 2006 at 6:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

chych

The butter knife's second victim.
Just got my Fubar II DAC, sounds great. It makes no mention on the website, but you can get a grey faceplate (sorry for the poor picture):

fubar.jpg

Jan 24, 2006 at 8:09 PM Post #2 of 13
I personnally choose the red one, very cute
eggosmile.gif
. I ordered the Beyond sunday in red as well and should get it wednesday or thursday. I wanted to treat myself a bit.

I just purchased the blackmax IC from cantsleep so it will be my first attempt at comparing cables and figure out by myself if I do hear a difference or not. If not, I guess I will save some money !

I'll post a picture of the fubar+beyond in red when I will have the set.

Then I need to figure out if I want to change the op am in the beyond as they are on o socket, will need to investigate and do extensive searches here.

What amp do you feed with the fubar ?

Lionel

Jan 24, 2006 at 8:33 PM Post #3 of 13
I've really been thinking about getting into DAC's, and would like to utilize the multiple inputs on my Millet to compare a DAC with the analog outputs on my 0404. I'm going to keep my eye on this thread and try to read up on these little DAC's.
smily_headphones1.gif
Also, I'd like to read some impressions of the power supply they sell.

chych, you go to CMU right? We might have to get together with Fante7 sometime for a mini-meet.

Jan 24, 2006 at 8:41 PM Post #4 of 13
A bit off-topic, but can anyone with the Firestone power supply tell me if I can connect multiple Firestone products (i.e., amp/DAC) to that one power supply or am I only limited to one product to connect to the power supply?

Jan 24, 2006 at 8:45 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by humanflyz
A bit off-topic, but can anyone with the Firestone power supply tell me if I can connect multiple Firestone products (i.e., amp/DAC) to that one power supply or am I only limited to one product to connect to the power supply?

From Firestone's "Supplier" website page at http://www.firestone-audio.com/cgi-b...sp?pdtseqnm=9: Quote:

Connecting multiple units to one aftermarket power supply is not recommended and will void the warranty.

Jan 25, 2006 at 3:15 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by lionel marechal
Then I need to figure out if I want to change the op am in the beyond as they are on o socket, will need to investigate and do extensive searches here.

What amp do you feed with the fubar ?

Lionel

Indeed the fubar's opamp is also replaceable (they even give supply an allen wrench to open the unit up), though I don't know what a better opamp is (if there is any). Speaking of replacements, the blue led is kind of super annoyingly bright, I think I'll try and replace that sometime.

I run my DAC to my (somewhat dated but slightly modded) MG Head DT, and I like the sound so far
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
chych, you go to CMU right? We might have to get together with Fante7 sometime for a mini-meet.

A good idea.

Jan 25, 2006 at 3:22 AM Post #7 of 13
agreed, the LEDs are somewhat enthusiastic! Two LEDs on the Spitfire and one on the Beyond make it a bit headache-inducing to look at the stack with the lights off
biggrin.gif

Jan 25, 2006 at 8:48 PM Post #8 of 13
Hi chych
You can drop most of the dual opamps in the Fubar. Some popular op-rolling candidates are AD823, AD827, AD797 (single op), LT1122 (single op), LT1361…etc. If you want to use single OPAMPs like the AD797, LT1122 or SOIC ones like the AD8260, you will need an adaptor.
There are two spots in the Fubar you can change the OPAMP, the position U6 is for LPF and the U5 is for DC servo.
Please report back to the forum share your favorite combinations.
biggrin.gif

Enjoy.
tongue.gif

Feb 19, 2006 at 3:47 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by J@ck
Hi chych
You can drop most of the dual opamps in the Fubar. Some popular op-rolling candidates are AD823, AD827, AD797 (single op), LT1122 (single op), LT1361…etc.

Jack, does it means that for any of those .. .it is as simple as removing the op2227 and put the new one ?

Quote:

If you want to use single OPAMPs like the AD797, LT1122 or SOIC ones like the AD8260, you will need an adaptor.
There are two spots in the Fubar you can change the OPAMP, the position U6 is for LPF and the U5 is for DC servo.
biggrin.gif

Enjoy.
tongue.gif

What is a good place to learn the minimum to understand this message above ? And do I need to
icon10.gif

My knowledge is limited to 'there is different op amp and they have different sound' and I would like to play with that a bit.

Thank you !
Lionel

Feb 19, 2006 at 11:19 PM Post #10 of 13
I never posted the picture in red I said I would post so here it is.
This is not color accurate, the red on their website is how it is.
Lionel
fubarandcute.jpg

Feb 28, 2006 at 4:15 AM Post #11 of 13
An other picture of the fubar in red, with the Cute Beyond and the 5G for scaling.
A happy camper here
580smile.gif

Lionel
fubarandcute2.jpg

Oct 19, 2006 at 5:33 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Hi chych
You can drop most of the dual opamps in the Fubar. Some popular op-rolling candidates are AD823, AD827, AD797 (single op), LT1122 (single op), LT1361…etc. If you want to use single OPAMPs like the AD797, LT1122 or SOIC ones like the AD8260, you will need an adaptor.
biggrin.gif

Enjoy.
tongue.gif

Where can I find more info about LPF and DC servo? How much difference would I expect by changing the op amp for DC servo?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back