FTP app for Mac
May 29, 2004 at 5:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

pigmode

Truck-Fi
I forgot what I had with windows, but I need an FTP app for OS X that can easily navigate to files, and drag and drop to my web space.

When logged into the webspace, I need to be able to open jpegs in a web browser window.

May 29, 2004 at 6:37 AM Post #3 of 16
I wasn't able to upload files using Finder's built-in FTP service. (Very strange. Maybe I did something wrong?)

I, too, would like a nice OS X FTP client.

- Chris

May 29, 2004 at 11:19 AM Post #5 of 16
I also use Rbrowse lite, but if you remember the days before graphical browsing was around, there's ftp in the terminal as well.

Just remember to set the download to bin and put hash on.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 29, 2004 at 1:17 PM Post #6 of 16
There are several FTP clients for OS X that have decent interfaces and drag 'n drop capability. RBrowser/RBrowser Lite has already been mentioned. Also, have a look at:

Transmit
Captain FTP
Cyberduck
Interarchy
Fetch (the granddaddy of Mac FTP clients)

... and many more. You might want to do a search on Google (try 'ftp os x' as keywords). Also, input 'ftp' into the search field at VersionTracker and you'll get a horde of results.

Personally, I use Fetch... mostly because that's what I started with almost 15 years ago and I find that it still meets my needs.

D.

May 29, 2004 at 2:20 PM Post #7 of 16
The mediocre FTP support in the Finder is a known issue... I hope it's fixed in 10.4 Tiger.

May 29, 2004 at 4:19 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
I also use Rbrowse lite, but if you remember the days before graphical browsing was around, there's ftp in the terminal as well.

Just remember to set the download to bin and put hash on.
smily_headphones1.gif

How do you upload files from the Finder? So far I have been superimposing a smaller RBrowserLite window over a Finder window and dragging files over, which is tedious to say the least. Are there other navigation features with this app?

May 29, 2004 at 4:50 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by pigmode
How do you upload files from the Finder? So far I have been superimposing a smaller RBrowserLite window over a Finder window and dragging files over, which is tedious to say the least. Are there other navigation features with this app?

You can't. Whine to Apple, and hopefully they might fix it in a future release...

May 29, 2004 at 5:57 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by fiddler
You can't. Whine to Apple, and hopefully they might fix it in a future release...

I meant uploading files from my hdd to my webspace using RBrowserLite. So far I can't find any navigation methods in that app., thus I have been superimposing RBrowserLite over a Finder window and dragging over.

Edit:
Okay, thanks. I'm starting to figure things out...so far it looks like a two window function within RBL.

May 30, 2004 at 12:38 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
I ment there's the unix command line ftp program in the Terminal, not Finder, there's a difference. Does the ftp command "put" not work?

Most people (especially Mac users) want GUIs.

- Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back