Ft. Worth meet
Jul 26, 2005 at 1:05 AM Post #61 of 74
Ahh congrats!

Hey, you're taking one for the team in the short run, but in the long run...Larry will be so happy that you lent yours out (because orders will be pouring in) that you'll be his new guinea pig
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 26, 2005 at 1:28 AM Post #64 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by bahamaman
With all the photos taken, surely someone has a picture of Iron_Dreamer!

Christina might have some. I will see if she does once she gets over here.

-Alex-

Jul 26, 2005 at 1:40 AM Post #65 of 74
Quote:

Thaddy - that would be me. I've had happy ears for the last week or so
smily_headphones1.gif
. Sadly, I shipped them off today to recstar24
frown.gif
. No, I didn't sell them (heaven forbid!). Larry asked if I would be willing to send them to recstar24 so he could do a 6moons review of these and (IIRC) two other headphile products. So, bad for me, good for the team.

Thanks for taking one for the team
biggrin.gif

Jul 26, 2005 at 2:18 AM Post #67 of 74
I must say "underpowered" in my description applies to me, and me alone. As a lifelong bass player, and survivor of several club encounters well over 130db, and a couple over 140db, let's just say I am 'acclimated' differently than most - and have yearly hearing tests (which to date are above average).

A vast majority of my listening is NOT at those levels, but anywhere from 1-2 hours per week is, which is entirely based on the selections, or if I'm critically listening to something recorded by 'friends' or guitar clients, mainly listening to how the instruments translate into a 'live' atmosphere.

25,000 guitars later (literally), and I never get tired of listening to them - and their distinctive voices, raised, muted, or wailing in agony.

Taking the long way round, I think we agree the HeadCode has plenty of power (remember I also found the Stealth underpowered), and simply find the Raptor more to my liking with respect to gain.

Jul 26, 2005 at 2:53 AM Post #68 of 74
Quote:

Thaddy - that would be me. I've had happy ears for the last week or so
smily_headphones1.gif
. Sadly, I shipped them off today to recstar24
frown.gif
. No, I didn't sell them (heaven forbid!). Larry asked if I would be willing to send them to recstar24 so he could do a 6moons review of these and (IIRC) two other headphile products. So, bad for me, good for the team.

Great to hear that headphile finally hits the big time. I really think though that the greatest product that headphile came up with is not the woody but the Amp-adaptor cable for using power amplifiers to power low impedance cans through the speaker output.

Jul 26, 2005 at 3:42 AM Post #69 of 74
As previously said, the fort worth meet was a blast. Big thanks to bahamaman!! it takes a lot of work to put this together and to pull it off with class. I second Ray's sentiments...the classroom's layout was ideal.

The selection of equipment was awe inspiring for this novice. I have to admit, i was definately bummed that the headroom package didnt arrive on time....i really was looking forward to auditioning the micro stack. maybe next time. Thanks to Pete for bringing his headroom total bithead so i could tryout usb audio from the laptop.

The gear in the room was phenomenal. i spent a fair amount of time with RS SR71. I really enjoyed this amp. sounded great with iPod line out and my grado 225s. plenty plenty of volume for my taste. i never turned it past 11 o'clock. I wish i had tried out one of the several pairs of HD600/HD650s floating around with the SR71. This was my first time listening to the 600/650s and with the right amp .....i loved the sound. In particular, i thought it sounded sweeeeeeeet with what i believe was one of Pete's amp (big black box with headphone jack in center and a red release button...if wrong please enlighten me what amp this is!!!!!)

Unfortunately, i had to leave early and didnt have time to audition the Hornet ...which i had earmarked prior to arrival as a must listen. I cant believe i spent nearly 5 hours trying out everything else!!!!!! subliminally, i think i avoided RS amp-a-polloza because if i would have listened to the raptor (especially with my affinity for tubes...love my butler tubes in my ride) i may have been spoiled for all others and the wallet cant take that kind of hit....not yet anyhow.

Rob's G5-->Benchmark DAC-> Laracco--->HP3000 setup sounded sublime. detail detail detail. very engaging phones. very comfortable. i could have listened to this rig all day.

Finally, Ted Paisley at Cable Pro brought a whole mess o' Grado cans and SR71s. The panaroma (sp?) cables were VERY nice. subtle yet obvious sonic improvement. It was just sounded BETTER, you know? unfortunately, i found out that i liked the 325s more than my 225s.

Thoroughly enjoyed the meet. thanks to all who provided the amazing eqiupment. it was a pleasure meeting many of those present although quite frankly i was too busy listening, comparing, and listening some more to say hello to all.....lets do it again sometime..........Jason

Jul 26, 2005 at 5:59 AM Post #70 of 74
I must say, thank you bahamaman for graciously hosting a meet! I haven't been to one since ... well, it's been a while
smily_headphones1.gif
. Hopefully next time I'll be able to arrive earlier, get a chance to meet everyone, and listen to more gear!

Jul 29, 2005 at 5:18 AM Post #72 of 74
I'm a bit late getting my impressions posted, thanks to some extraneous travel, but here goes:

A great thanks to Rob for organizing and running this excellent meet. The space and setup was certainly better than anything I've experienced before at a meet. The after-meet dinner was great, so good we went back to Charleston's on the way home from Oklahoma, so thanks again for that great tip.

I had a great time getting to know a whole new group of head-fiers, and it was very nice to meet you all.

I mostly listened to different headphones that I had little to no experience with, as well as a few amps to get a feel for how they sound with the DAC1. I have come to the conclusion that even the highest-end unbalanced amps do nothing to improve over the DAC1's headphone jack. I orginally formed this hypothesis with Edwood's Grace 902, and it has held true with a Dynahi, as well as the amps featured at this meet. It seems to me that only a balanced or electrostatic headphone has any need for an outboard amp with the DAC1.

I used the DAC1's headphone out to compare cans, using the same music I have played many times at home, so I think I gave them a fair shake.

Headphones:

A900: I didn't like these much at all the last time I heard them (I preferred the HD280's) in fall 2003, but these sounded much better. They do have a bit of glare in the upper mids, but the general balance is nice, with strong bass, a good sized soundstage. I'm not sure I prefer them to the K271S or DT770 for sub-$200 closed cans, but I can certainly understand the attraction to the more than I ever did before.

W1000: These sounded and felt great overall, and if I had the money I think I'd definitely keep a pair of AT woodies around. They take the A900 sound and add more detail and speed, as well as better treble extension, and a better sense of soundstage. They have a smidge less bass though. There is a certain band in the upper mids/lower treble that is quite spiked, resulting in certain songs sounding quite overaggressive, particularly with electric guitar, but for acoustic and classical these cans sound very nice indeed.

DT831: Wow, major suprise here, these are now the top sub-$200 closed cans IMO. They have a better degree of detail and balance than any of their competitors, and great extension in both directions. And of course the comfort is superior, from the DTx31 series, so I really dig these cans. I don't see how people consider these shrill or bright, unless they are of the neutral=bright crowd.

HP3000: A truly unique creation from Larry the woodmaster, and to think he was just getting started at this a year ago! The sound is very detailed, and a touch on the dark side, almost like a dynamic Omega II. Like the OII they excelled with classical music, giving strings a great lifelike seductive character. They lacked a bit in the edginess department (but not to the extent of the OII) so rock and techno didn't please me here as much as on the SA5000. They are certainly top class cans all around, in sound, look, and fit, and if one favors the Joe Grado sound but can't stand Grado (dis-)ergonomics, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

K340: On the one side that had cotton installed, I can see why these cans are highly regarded, as they sounded like a more detailed K501 with BASS. Their soundstage was great, not that different from the K501, considering that they are closed cans. They had a bit of a creakiness to them most likely due to age, but this was only noticeable if walking around.

K501: These sounded about as I expected them to, with nice mids, highs, and soundstage, but a totally unsatisfying bass for any sort of music, IMO. The fit and build is very nice for the price, it's just too bad they are so lacking in the bass (the K26 had better bass performance IMO). If they just had a bit more bass, on the order of the K271, they would have a nice niche.

K26P: I was thoroughly impressed by the sound of these little cans, they are an excellent bargain in the world of sub $50 cans. The ergonomics leave a bit to be desired in the headband, and they felt a bit flimsy, but for the price you can't really complain. They are definite PX100 killers.

AKZip's recabled MDR-V6: Whatever he did to these cans, they were actaully listenable, a comment I could not make about unmodified V6's in the past. The upper midrange hump was tamed a bit, and the lower mids were brought out a bit, making them sound a bit more balanced. Nice work!

Amps:

Ray Samuels Hornet: Not quite as transparent as the top end home amps, but darned close for a sub-credit-card sized package. I think Ray got this one just right for the portable market, small enough for almost anyone who isn't a shuffle-user
biggrin.gif

Ray Samuels Stealth: Just as transparent as the great solid-state amps (Dynahi, Headcode, Grace 902, etc.), I couldn't find any fault with how it handled the signal from the DAC1.

LaRocco Headcode: Beautifully built (but inevitably a fingerprint magnet), and greatly powerful, with the transparency one would expect of a top-end amp, without the heat of the Dynahi, nor the maintainence of tube amps, the headcode is a real contender in the realm of high-end unbalaced amps.

Jul 29, 2005 at 6:30 AM Post #73 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Salt Peanuts
recstar24 - If you're allowed to share the info, what other Headphile creations are you reviewing?

Sure! Larry and I are looking at some grado mod, and then a beyer mod. I believed we discussed the grado sr-225 woodied and recabled, compared to stock 225 and rs-1 - kind of like how much sound you can get for less money, how comparable is the 225 woddy recable to rs-1, to show how heapdhone mods can really maximize sound per dollar spent. The darth beyers should be interesting as well. We just needed a nice summary of what headphile does and headphone mods can provide for the average headphone consumer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back