FRY'S!!!
Feb 20, 2004 at 9:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Chinchy

1000+ Head-Fier
Well I believe the rumors are finally coming true!! Fry's is opening up in Concord (San Francisco East Bay), near where their original store (the grocery store supermarket) used to be, and where Fry's Way still exists. They finally have the Fry's banner up advertising help wanted, and they've repaved the parking lot and added new parking spots.... It should be opening up soon.

I'm giddy with excitement!! I wonder what their theme will be...

Feb 20, 2004 at 11:39 PM Post #2 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by Chinchy
Well I believe the rumors are finally coming true!! Fry's is opening up in Concord (San Francisco East Bay), near where their original store (the grocery store supermarket) used to be, and where Fry's Way still exists. They finally have the Fry's banner up advertising help wanted, and they've repaved the parking lot and added new parking spots.... It should be opening up soon.

Fry's is a really cool store. I'd heard so much about it from friends and ineternet people on the west coast, I just had to visit one when I was in Vegas over New Years. The store in Vegas is simply massive, dwarfing any Best Buy or Superstore I've ever seen. The selection is nothing short of amazing, decent prices on computer gear I would never have dreamed you could get outside of the internet (at least not without overpaying for a special order!).

They basically have a huge amount of almost everything (electronics supplies, computer stuff, tv stuff.. etc.. unfortunately I didn't see much audio equipment though..)

-dd3mon

Feb 21, 2004 at 12:01 AM Post #3 of 29
Remember, if you have to ask "What's the difference between OEM and Retail" you're in the wrong store.

Actually, for that matter, if you have to ask ANY questions, you're in the wrong store. Fry's is perfect if you know what you want to get.

Feb 21, 2004 at 12:11 AM Post #4 of 29
The Fry's in Manhattan Beach sucks ass. It is the smallest Fry's in existence, with little to no convenient parking.

That one has a jungle theme.

I like the Burbank one's theme. "Mars Attacks" theme complete with a crashed UFO in the front of the building servering as the awning.

-Ed

Feb 21, 2004 at 12:13 AM Post #5 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by Edwood
The Fry's in Manhattan Beach sucks ass. It is the smallest Fry's in existence, with little to no convenient parking.

That one has a jungle theme.

I like the Burbank one's theme. "Mars Attacks" theme complete with a crashed UFO in the front of the building servering as the awning.

-Ed

The MB one really does blow, it is quite a joke compared to the Burbank location, which is gigantic.

Feb 21, 2004 at 12:24 AM Post #6 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by dd3mon
They basically have a huge amount of almost everything (electronics supplies, computer stuff, tv stuff.. etc.. unfortunately I didn't see much audio equipment though..)-dd3mon

I think for what Fry's does, they do real good. They have the largest selection of computer accessories, phones, software...etc.

They're like Best Buy on steroids. However, I would never consider going to Fry's to look for high-end audio.

That's just not their forte'...

smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 21, 2004 at 12:29 AM Post #7 of 29
Quote:

unfortunately I didn't see much audio equipment though..)

Right there. They really don't have much (anything really) that I'd buy in their audio department. Yet, I love the software, both computer and DVD's, selection. At my store, CD's aren't a strength. But you can easily spend a lot of time there and find a lot of things to keep you interested...gotta love those dishwashers.
tongue.gif

I agree with Cinchey that the sales staff isn't the most informed.

Feb 21, 2004 at 12:46 AM Post #8 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by Chinchy

So, is the walkable from BART?

Feb 21, 2004 at 1:39 AM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by danaa
Right there. They really don't have much (anything really) that I'd buy in their audio department.

The one audio-related thing I considered buying from Fry's was the MDR-V6, which they used to stock. I'm not sure about now though. But Fry's has a ton of other stuff to peruse... particularly for the DIY computer builders. If you wait around for the right deal, you can make some amazing things come together very cheaply.

I think it's funny that Fry's also has candy and junk food just before you line up to buy your stuff. That place is honestly the geek megastore... for all your geeky needs. I love it!

I didn't know the other Fry's locations had different themes. What is the Fremont theme? I know they have a giant electrode thing in the middle of the store... is it supposed to be an inventor's lab or something like that?

Feb 21, 2004 at 1:44 AM Post #11 of 29
We in the Midwest can't do anything but stare in envy. None of the stores around here have that good of an audio selection. I haven't even seen many good stores. We have Circuit City, Best Buy, CompUSA, MicroCenter, hh gregg, and the other big box stores, but no where that sells decent headphones.
frown.gif

Feb 21, 2004 at 2:00 AM Post #12 of 29
Shopping at Fry's is fun, but we had a thread once about how their Check-out Police bite.

Feb 21, 2004 at 2:08 AM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by Oddball
We in the Midwest can't do anything but stare in envy. None of the stores around here have that good of an audio selection. I haven't even seen many good stores. We have Circuit City, Best Buy, CompUSA, MicroCenter, hh gregg, and the other big box stores, but no where that sells decent headphones.
frown.gif

Fry's isn't that great for headphones. They do push the Bose stuff, though, and you guys all know I love the QuietComfort 2.

Feb 21, 2004 at 3:13 AM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by daycart1
Shopping at Fry's is fun, but we had a thread once about how their Check-out Police bite.

You remind me why I don't like shopping there.

The store is big, variety of goods is good. The price is not always the lowest though.

Some people I know are almost religious about fry's. I'm amazed.

Feb 21, 2004 at 4:12 AM Post #15 of 29
Their store in Renton WA doesn't have a theme. They do have several large historical photos of Renton though.
It's a short bike ride from my house so I go there often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back