frying the k1000?
Jul 21, 2008 at 7:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

NoPants

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi there,

So I'll soon be playing around with a k1000 and I was a little worried about the amount of power that you could put into it. I'm planning to use this very old no-name amp designed for theater use, with (a reported) 500W output. I'm assuming this is into 8 ohms, so am I in any danger of frying the drivers? Thanks for your time!

Jul 21, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #2 of 9
I think that'd be a dangerous game to play. My opinion is to invest in a well-known amp instead, so you'll be safe knowing you have quality sound and materials inside.

Jul 21, 2008 at 8:03 PM Post #3 of 9
Your K1000 are certainly in danger. Especially if you don't keep the volume down...
I am with 'TheMarchingMule' and suggest you pick up a smaller and more suited amplifier instead. Or at least add some kind of limiter in the signal path, preventing you from blasting full power into your K1000.

Jul 21, 2008 at 9:06 PM Post #4 of 9
it runs a pair of standing floorspeakers just fine though, I was under the impression that those sorts of amps was what the k1000 was designed to be run with. What would be this limiter that you're referring to?

Perhaps this might not need mentioning but the k1000s have definitely put me in the red...

edit: perhaps given that runs floorspeakers it's not actually 500w?...

Jul 21, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoPants /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it runs a pair of standing floorspeakers just fine though, I was under the impression that those sorts of amps was what the k1000 was designed to be run with. What would be this limiter that you're referring to?

Correct. Its designed to run from a speaker amplifier.
But also beware that most speaker amplifiers don't put out 500w. Probably 50-100w on average. They will be safe if you keep the volume down. But as you probably understand its easier to fry them with a 500w compared to lets say a 50w amplifier. Accidents can happen you know...

Regarding limiter. Such thing may be a preamp, or other device restricting the signal input level. In such way that you can turn the main volume control close to max without frying the K1000.

Jul 21, 2008 at 9:59 PM Post #7 of 9
ah so that's what you meant, yea I have a preamp haha that'd be pretty bad news hooking it up straight to my DAC. I was more concerned with frying them on power-up, but I feel a lot better about it now. As long as I keep everything low there doesn't sound like there should be any problems.

Jul 22, 2008 at 7:36 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoPants /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ah so that's what you meant, yea I have a preamp haha that'd be pretty bad news hooking it up straight to my DAC. I was more concerned with frying them on power-up, but I feel a lot better about it now.

Well, you did not mention if it was an integrated (with volume control) or power amplifier.
But since it seems to be a poweramp a preamp is required. Either as a standalone or part of your source.

Quote:

As long as I keep everything low there doesn't sound like there should be any problems.

Yes, keep the volume down a d they should be safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back