Frustrated with IEMs...
May 14, 2010 at 7:48 AM Post #31 of 39
Hahaha...I get a feeling that...I ....hm....yeah...

I'm not going to say anything, the words speak for themselves.

Fun read though

May 14, 2010 at 9:15 AM Post #32 of 39
I really don't need to say anything to that haha, read any of my UE posts and you'll see that it's simply what I recall a respected member saying. Who knows if they did or not, knowing Logitech it wouldn't be a surprise but if they didn't then they didn't. I honestly don't care what you think of me saying that in an attempt to help inform newer head-fiers of something that came up likely before they joined.

May 14, 2010 at 11:58 AM Post #33 of 39
Quote:

|joker|, with all due respect, the pervading schtick of your life seems to be purchasing earphones.  I wouldn't expect you to be outside the "cocoon" that I mentioned.

That's a very convenient way to invalidate everyone's opinion except your own. I've got a couple of headphones too, btw.

May 14, 2010 at 3:24 PM Post #34 of 39

I guess I have quote myself...
Quote:

I'm really not trying to make a case that IEM's suck.  Just the opposite, I'm saying they haven't worked for me very well because of the resonance problems stated.  Please don't go there though, I guess I could carry my headphones to school everyday with a high possibility of not needing them or getting them sweaty or breaking them.  It's just not practical for every day.

Like I said, it doesn't matter, in-ears have their purpose...isolation and portability in my case.  Even if the SQ debate is legitimate, in my case I'd still go for IEM's because of convenience.

I'll even go so far as to say if it weren't for convenience I wouldn't even have headphones.  I'd invest it all in speakers, but since speakers are not portable and would annoy family members and neighbors (not to mention they couldn't be played at full volume in the middle of the night lol) I have invested virtually nothing in my speakers because I simply don't use them.

May 14, 2010 at 5:22 PM Post #35 of 39
Cheap products tend to have less than stellar frequency responses.  The NE-7M is an earphone that I couldn't really stand without EQing.  There's a rather sizable peak around 5kHz that does make the earphone a little annoying.  It's just at a bad spot where it influences a lot of music.

I don't really want to tell you to just spend more money, but really to get a quality level sound, you want to get up into the $150 to $200 price range.  Normally a lot of folks are not all that discerning, but you seem to seek more than the average Joe out there.  Dream Theater isn't something the average Joe would be listening to either.

I guess step one would be to ask what type of sound are you looking for?  What aspects do you want to keep in the NE-7M?  What would you change if you could?  It is obvious you want a flatter frequency response and an earphone that is better balanced.  Beyond that, there's personal preferences in sound.  For example, the NE-7M is thick in note where you get a full-bodied presence.  Not all earphones are this way, and some can be rather light and airy in nature.  You'll have to decide what aspects you like and which aspects you want to change or improve upon.  From there, we could point you to something better fitting.  I do only suggest that you start looking at a little higher level of a product.  Are you wiling to spend $150 to $200 for something really quite good?

May 14, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #37 of 39
The IEM world is actually a really good place to be.  Unlike a lot of audio realms, IEMs have gotten a TON of attention, and there are massive quantities of reviews and comments for most of the major products.  The "problem" lies within the collection of all this data.  It takes a while.  Big review threads like ClieOS's and |Joker|'s do help a lot because it gives one point of view over a wide selection of products.  Their particular view may not be exact with yours but you get a really decent understanding of how the selection compares with one another.  Both of them have listened to a wide enough selection to offer a pretty comprehensive perspective of the products they review.

May 14, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #38 of 39

Quote:
Cheap products tend to have less than stellar frequency responses.  The NE-7M is an earphone that I couldn't really stand without EQing.  There's a rather sizable peak around 5kHz that does make the earphone a little annoying.  It's just at a bad spot where it influences a lot of music.

I don't really want to tell you to just spend more money, but really to get a quality level sound, you want to get up into the $150 to $200 price range.  Normally a lot of folks are not all that discerning, but you seem to seek more than the average Joe out there.  Dream Theater isn't something the average Joe would be listening to either.

I guess step one would be to ask what type of sound are you looking for?  What aspects do you want to keep in the NE-7M?  What would you change if you could?  It is obvious you want a flatter frequency response and an earphone that is better balanced.  Beyond that, there's personal preferences in sound.  For example, the NE-7M is thick in note where you get a full-bodied presence.  Not all earphones are this way, and some can be rather light and airy in nature.  You'll have to decide what aspects you like and which aspects you want to change or improve upon.  From there, we could point you to something better fitting.  I do only suggest that you start looking at a little higher level of a product.  Are you wiling to spend $150 to $200 for something really quite good?

Thanks for helping.

I see your point.  I don't really want to spend that much right now, but I'll probably save up for it later (I probably won't really need to use iems until next semester anyway).  I'd probably be willing to get some used ones too to save some money.

Probably what I like best about the NE-7M is that they have amazing isolation with foam eartips.  That combined with a bassy sound signature is perfect for long road trips.  Once I get them in right they do have an amazing soundstage (for IEM's) that sounds very immersive.

I can't really complain too much about slow bass, the ne-7m actually have faster bass than my M50's, but generally I'm looking for fast bass and neutral freq. response.  (Compared to the NE-7M, I'd want smoother and clearer mids and treble).  I generally lean toward as neutral as possible, but for the occasional time I use them in the car it's nice to be able to hear the bass over the road noise.  I guess I could use an eq if there isn't enough, the only problem is getting a suitable eq that sounds ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back