Frost - Experiments In Mass Appeal
Dec 11, 2008 at 12:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Hardwired

500+ Head-Fier
For those of you who liked Frost's Milliontown CD (I know I did), they have a new one due to be released on 13 January called Experiments In Mass Appeal.

There are 2 versions: the plain CD, and a CD/DVD edition.

Just a heads-up for those who care. I'm looking forward to it.

Dec 12, 2008 at 7:03 PM Post #2 of 11
Bought this a couple of weeks ago as I'm a BIG Frost* fan and loved Milliontown. Although slightly different, it's a very well made album. For those in the US, you can get it now through lasercd.com.

Dec 13, 2008 at 6:09 AM Post #4 of 11
I've not heard milliontown, but this "Experiments In Mass Appeal" is simply fantastic. Not a bad song on it. Really fresh sounding to me, in a time when a lot of rock-based music sounds tired and old.

Dec 13, 2008 at 3:41 PM Post #5 of 11
Excellent. I had no idea it was already out.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'll go grab it.

Dec 16, 2008 at 4:15 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzydice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've not heard milliontown, but this "Experiments In Mass Appeal" is simply fantastic. Not a bad song on it. Really fresh sounding to me, in a time when a lot of rock-based music sounds tired and old.

Milliontown is a little different, but if you like the Frost sound, it's a must! It's worth it for Hyperventilate, Black Light Machine, and Milliontown alone.

Dec 23, 2008 at 9:09 PM Post #8 of 11
Heh, it's the opposite for me. Milliontown was better, IMO. Mass Appeal is too repetitive and the music has no energy.

Eh, I didn't like Milliontown that much until I listened to it a few times, so maybe it will be the same for the new one.

Dec 24, 2008 at 12:39 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardwired /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the music has no energy.

I'm not sure what your definition of energy is... lol

I guess the irony is that the band had way more fun (and more energy
wink.gif
) when making EIMA than when making Milliontown... which was really about 80% Jem's solo album with the other guys thrown in at the end. MT often criticized for being "cold and lifeless", which I don't entirely agree with, but I do get that vibe just because the band was new and Jem didn't really know the other guys much. If you've watched the "making of" for EIMA though, you'd see the kind of energy that went into its creation :p

I loved EIMA on first headphone listen, but I won't lie, I enjoy it most when blasting it from a stereo and really getting into it... but then again you kinda have to like it to begin with to do that, I suppose.

Dec 24, 2008 at 9:47 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vkamicht /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure what your definition of energy is... lol

I dunno, it just sounds lifeless, pointless, and most of the songs just start repeating the same riff/lyrics over and over at the end until I change songs in irritation. The vocals are done falsetto too often instead of in his real vocal range. The music is also not as hard-edged as MT, which wasn't that hard to begin with.

Maybe I was expecting Milliontown 2.0 instead of something new, but I did expect there to be a common sound between the two and it's almost like a different band, which it might be considering what you say.

Or maybe I wasn't in a Frost mood last listen and next time it will grab me. I do find I like music more if it has to grow on me instead of liking it immediately.

Dec 25, 2008 at 8:15 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardwired /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe I was expecting Milliontown 2.0 instead of something new, but I did expect there to be a common sound between the two and it's almost like a different band, which it might be considering what you say.

Well, many people who praise EIMA have been following the album's development from conception via Youtube and there's been zero question as to what the sound would be like... Jem has always been of the mind-set "do something once, then move on" so it was never going to be Milliontown 2.0 (and there never will be one!) There's actually a lot of people who greatly prefer one album over the other, due to the vastly different sound. As for the vocal range... that's just Dec's voice for you. Listen to him speak compared to the other two vocalists and it makes sense why he does the high stuff :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back