Frontal sound AND correct frequency response with EQ only.
Jul 5, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #46 of 55
That sounds like a psychological thing, not an EQ thing. Proper EQing has its own rewards though.

Jul 5, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #47 of 55
Yes, but they both contribute to creating a certain kind of subjective perception. The goal here is psychological in nature: to shape a perception, not just a sound wave. :wink:

Jul 5, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #48 of 55
I find a glass of good red wine can improve sound quality too.

Jul 5, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #49 of 55
Could be, but it's not the certain kind of subjective perception this thread is about - see first two words in the title. :relaxed:

Jul 20, 2017 at 6:20 AM Post #50 of 55
hey there yesterday i tried my first calibration with mixed results :)
i use an steinberg ur22 audio interface and swans m10 as speakers and my beyerdynamic dt770 pro.
some observations:
1. i cant hear the result from his app no idea why? im on a windows 7 machine. when i play the pink noise through his app i and switch between the eq setting i hear a difference but when played normal music and switch i hear no difference.
2. the resulting eq settings i put in an audacitys eq and the result was interesting but far from good :D
3. when trying to eq the swans m10 speakers i struggel with the lower frequency david said he starts at 500hz?

but on my dt770 pro i can hear much deeper frequency where do you guys start?

cheers janosch

Jul 20, 2017 at 11:41 PM Post #51 of 55
I remember someone asking this on Reddit recently, but they didn't get any direct answers. Searching back for that thread, I found this: https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/41jro3/for_all_of_you_android_listeners_try_noozxoide/
thanks, I tried it - and it's surprisingly good for something that works with the core android audio. I definitely enjoy the "audiophile" digital preset. It puts some high treble air on things and some low bass rumble - exaggerating the extension of both treble and bass. It works for "dull" sounding IEMs that have treble rolloff. Again, good suggestion. However, I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to have to go TOTL to be happy.

I also found a 10 band system wide eq, but it's nowhere near the control of a para-eq. If you'd like to try it, it's called RE-EQ and worth the 99 cents on the android play store. I've been using USB Audio Player PRO and it's wonderful with the add in parametric EQ by toneboosters. But, I must be streaming - no offline playback for Tidal - only supports offline for personal files (and I don't own much music, mainly rely on Tidal).

Jul 21, 2017 at 2:30 AM Post #52 of 55
10-band isn't going to cut it with this method. Besides, there's already a 10-band EQ in UAPP, no reason to pay for another one.

Jul 23, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #53 of 55
10-band isn't going to cut it with this method. Besides, there's already a 10-band EQ in UAPP, no reason to pay for another one.
true, but for offline tidal, UAAP doesn't handle that, so I need to playback offline tidal using tidal's own app, then run the EQ I mentioned. I think I'm just going to plop down the cash for a DAP that can handle tidal offline through a para eq. But nobody has been able to confirm this is possible with any product on the market as yet. Any suggestions please join this thread below or PM me. I think I've gone outta scope for this thread and apologize to OP and moderator.

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/portable-dap-for-tidal.797001/page-4#post-13616919

Back to frontal sound @buonassi , get with the program!!!!!

Jul 24, 2017 at 4:36 AM Post #54 of 55
3. when trying to eq the swans m10 speakers i struggel with the lower frequency david said he starts at 500hz?

but on my dt770 pro i can hear much deeper frequency where do you guys start?
As already stated up-thread, I adjust every frequency band down to the last one that falls within the device's +/- 3 dB response capabilities. Due to the limitations of my speakers, in practice this leads to more zeroes down bottom for the speaker curves than any of the headphone curves, since all of my headphones go as deep as the monitors or deeper. So effectively I'm tuning the sub-bass for equal loudness rather than frontality in most cases, but, as Griesinger said, those frequencies are not that important for frontality anyway.

Jul 24, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #55 of 55
The next best thing when that's not available, I've found, is to close my eyes and remove the distraction of the actual objects I have in front of me. Depending on the recording (and I'm talking all flat-stereo here) the frontality could just happen on its own or it might take some extra help in the form of making a little effort to imagine the artists in front of you. But just closing the eyes is an easy trick that can help the effect along. With this and my latest tunings I'm just loving my headphones to bits, down to my cheapest ones - the KSC75 and the HD669. :)

Well, this is why the guys making these binaural recordings always love them and find them to be perfect. They where actually there. They had all the live audio and more importantly, optical cues. This makes it easy for their brains to locate the sounds "source" - whatever the engineer decided on what and where that should be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back