Front panel vs. rear output quality
Jul 7, 2009 at 5:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Aellius

New Head-Fier
Hiya guys, I'm really confused about this one. I've read a lot around these forums and I really appreciate all your efforts for helping people getting their music up to the best possible level of enjoyment
smily_headphones1.gif

I've always listened to music through my 50% Creative speakers and my onboard soundcard. In the last 2 weeks I've gathered info about headphones and soundcards and bought an ATH-AD700 along with an ASUS Xonar DX soundcard and I'm pretty amazed by it
beyersmile.png

My dumb question is... Is there any difference between front panel and rear panel output quality of a soundcard like this Xonar? I'm asking because I'd prefer to use my headphones front panel, so I could turn on the speakers if I'm not alone watching a movie or something. Thanks in advance!

Jul 7, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #2 of 3
I also have a Xonar DX and when I use headphones through the front panel I can hear interference and some noise from my computer. So I plug my headphones into the rear output and use the front panel for my crappy speakers. This way I don't hear any noise from my speakers as well.

Jul 7, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #3 of 3
The problem is that the wires going from the card to the front pannel are

1) Cheap quality

2) very crappily insulated

3) absorb a lot of EMI noise thats given off by your cards, power supply, RAM, CPU, etc. which is why you hear that noise

Users who are viewing this thread

Back