Front Panel Express, good, bad, ugly?
Aug 8, 2005 at 11:09 PM Post #16 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by BradJudy
I was pretty happy with my one experience with FPE. I wish they could do anodizing after the outside cut and then cut the rest so that the edges would be anodized too, but I still like it. Here are a couple of pics:

Yeah, at least they have an option for raw aluminum finish so that you can have it anodized elsewhere. But sucks that eliminates a one stop shopping place.

Man, their bit stepping is quite rough. I wish they had an option for finishing passes, not just cutting passes.

-Ed

Aug 8, 2005 at 11:34 PM Post #17 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by bryman79

However, FPE needs to re-think their panel sizing procedure. Instead of sizing the panels first, they engrave and mill the panels to size all in one operation, leaving "spokes" to support the panel during engraving. They then use a bench grinder of some sort to remove the spokes. Note that this could easily be done by anyone with a mill, but they choose to do it with a grinder. Here is the result, which leaves a lot to be desired given the alternatives: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...GrindMarks.jpg.

So if you are fine with the above, then all is cool. However, if you are like me, then we need to find an alternative. In the future I will either have the panel milled beforehand, or ask them to not remove the spokes. I will then do this on my own. How I wish I still had access to a mill!!!

That looks like crap! I'm going to have to sand down edges by hand. Guess I shouldn't have put a chamfer on the outside edges.
frown.gif

-Ed

Aug 8, 2005 at 11:48 PM Post #18 of 45
They do a pretty decent job, very good and very accurate I may say, the only inconveninece I found was that they do not anodize after, that means that all the cuts must be covered, otherwise you will see the fresh cut aluminum, a reason to avoid works on black aluminum and any other color unless the sides will be covered, I ahve deal with them for a few times and all the work have been top notch......

BTW they released an new version of the software more user friendly.....

That is true about the edges, that I why i try to hide them most of the times, otherwise get a fine flat grinding stone and sand them to remove all the marks, after that they are decent, anyway we do not have too many more options....

Aug 8, 2005 at 11:59 PM Post #19 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
They do a pretty decent job, very good and very accurate I may say, the only inconveninece I found was that they do not anodize after, that means that all the cuts must be covered, otherwise you will see the fresh cut aluminum, a reason to avoid works on black aluminum and any other color unless the sides will be covered, I ahve deal with them for a few times and all the work have been top notch......

BTW they released an new version of the software more user friendly.....

That is true about the edges, that I why i try to hide them most of the times, otherwise get a fine flat grinding stone and sand them to remove all the marks, after that they are decent, anyway we do not have too many more options....

We should keep petitioning/harassing them to have an option to have the edges milled smooth. I'd be willing to pay for the extra operation.

I'm going to send them an email right now asking about it.

Everyone else should too. The more they hear about this, perhaps they will offer it. Or we'll find someone else that can do it.

-Ed

Aug 9, 2005 at 12:03 AM Post #20 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
We should keep petitioning/harassing them to have an option to have the edges milled smooth. I'd be willing to pay for the extra operation.

Everyone else should too. The more they hear about this, perhaps they will offer it. Or we'll find someone else that can do it.

-Ed

Good luck, I asked the same in the past with no luck, they say that is part of the process...not sure to what extend....

Aug 9, 2005 at 12:06 AM Post #21 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
Good luck, I asked the same in the past with no luck, they say that is part of the process...not sure to what extend....

All you can do is ask. And if they don't comply, then we will keep looking for someone else that can do what we ask.

If enough people make a stink about it, then they will consider making it a part of their process.

-Ed

Aug 9, 2005 at 12:09 AM Post #22 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood

-Ed

I tell you, it would be so much easier to just get it right before engraving. For example, on my panel there were a total of 8 tabs/spokes that they would have to make look good vs. 4 corners to get right if done before. You may want to persue that avenue with them. However, like Sovkiller implied, they seem to be set in their ways.

Bryan

Aug 9, 2005 at 1:20 AM Post #25 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by kin0kin
how much does it cost to get a front panel done by them, on average?

or should i say, how much did your's cost? (anybody who ahs done it)

go to the site and download their software... it tells you the exact price!

I wanna say about $50 for a pretty decent one.

Aug 9, 2005 at 1:46 AM Post #26 of 45
Quote:

Juergen... did your countersinks look like grandenigma1's?

That's how mine turned out.

Quote:

.... They then use a bench grinder of some sort to remove the spokes. ..... Here is the result, which leaves a lot to be desired given the alternatives: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...GrindMarks.jpg.

Same here. Nothing that can't be sanded though. Hopefully more finishing options will appear in the future. Nice logo btw.

Aug 9, 2005 at 2:13 AM Post #27 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by grandenigma1
go to the site and download their software... it tells you the exact price!

I wanna say about $50 for a pretty decent one.

I just completed a new front panel and it cost about $50 with shipping. And this is with the standard lead time and ground UPS. There were 14 through holes, with 9 countersinks, and 10 engravings. The panel was about 96mm x 96mm, 4mm thick Anodized Aluminum Natural color. Not bad for how much stuff was done.

-Ed

Aug 9, 2005 at 3:08 AM Post #28 of 45
The one where I used their material (shown in this thread) was about $45. All the others I have had made were about $25-$30 since I used my own material.

Lead times are dead-on or earlier.

Regards,
Bryan

Aug 9, 2005 at 11:36 AM Post #30 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by IEATTEFLON
Does anyone have the templates for popular enclosure sizes with the mounting holes?

The ones for the PAR enclosures are in my signature soem of them.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back