Front Panel Express file conversion
May 22, 2010 at 3:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

johnwmclean

Aka: capone, bignurse.
From Adobe Illustrator I’m trying to find a way to convert my exported DWG and DFX into FPE files, any tricks? 

May 22, 2010 at 9:51 AM Post #2 of 11
You are supposed to be able to import hpgl (.plt) files into FPE's software according to their site, but I don't think you can do anything with dwg's or dxf's.  You might try posting the question on their forums too, someone might be able to offer better advice there.

May 22, 2010 at 10:41 AM Post #3 of 11
I had a quick look in their forums earlier today, yeah I’ll ask the question there - but it looks as though Adobe Illustrator does not support hpgl. 

I was actually trying to get two quotes, one from FPE and the other from link you posted in the “post builds” thread from Cam-expert, unlike FPE they support a lot of different formats including AI, DWG and DXF. Cam-expert have been extremely responsive, they got back to me within hours of uploading my files, I had to re-send them in another format because they couldn’t read my first batch of files, an hour or so later and another email saying the files are perfect and well get you a quote later today! Now that’s service. I’ve been trying local businesses here and it’s like getting blood out of a stone.

This is really what I want, I don’t know CAD software at all, I’m Adobe Illustrator savy and love the way it works, at least for me.

Thanks for the link, Nate! perfect timing.

May 24, 2010 at 9:56 AM Post #6 of 11

Quote:
I'm usually just a forum reader but want to add something to this thread. I hope you don't mind. 
We released a new version of Front Panel Designer last month, it allows you to import dxf files.

Check out our newsletter

Diane, Front Panel Express

Thanks Diane, that's great information to have out there.

Aug 10, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #7 of 11
I'm having extreme troubles getting illustrator DXF exports to come into FPD on the Mac. If I shrink the outlines too far they just don't appear in FPD, they disappear. Only if the drawing is about 2-3 times the intended size (hundreds of mm. large) will it show up as outlines in FPD. I too desire a system that would import EPS or AI files or other drawing formats because that's the standard in the graphics world.

Aug 10, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #8 of 11
I've tried all kinds of options in Illustrator, stroke, fill, you name it, to no avail. You can see the outlines when it's large in FPD, but as soon as you shrink it, you're damned. There are various scaling options on export in Illustrator, and I've tried them all. When I get close (300%) and if I set the chisel to 1 mm., I can still see the outlines in FPD's preview (when bringing in a free drawing, in "Insert/Free Contour") but if I shrink it further in the preview window or in the FPD main window, the outlines disappear!

Quote:
I'm having extreme troubles getting illustrator DXF exports to come into FPD on the Mac. If I shrink the outlines too far they just don't appear in FPD, they disappear. Only if the drawing is about 2-3 times the intended size (hundreds of mm. large) will it show up as outlines in FPD. I too desire a system that would import EPS or AI files or other drawing formats because that's the standard in the graphics world.

Aug 11, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #11 of 11
well I guess that answers my question then. camexpert it is

Users who are viewing this thread

Back