Front panel connection help
Jan 12, 2005 at 3:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

chicken

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,
I'm looking for an answer or two about a system I'm gonna be putting together. I did a search for this topic but couldn't find a real answer. I'm wondering: is it possible to hook up the standard front panel headphone jack to somewhere on the sound card rather than a motherboard connection? You see, I'd like to get the better sound from my sound card while being able to just connect my Headroom Airhead to the front of the computer. (I'm planning on using the rear sound card jacks for the main computer speakers.) If I'm totally off base on all of this, please feel free to let me know as well. Thanks in advance for any advice and help.
confused.gif
tongue.gif

Jan 14, 2005 at 1:44 AM Post #2 of 5
Anybody have any input into this? Sorry this is such a newb question. I've never done any front-of-the-case hookups so I am still not sure if they go to the MB or to a (hopefully better sounding) sound card connection. It kinda matters for me as it will determine if I need to buy speakers with a headphone out jack or can get away with a cheaper pair without that jack. Thanks in advance for your help and expertise.
biggrin.gif

Jan 14, 2005 at 1:59 AM Post #3 of 5
OK, I just checked the instructions (downloaded from the net) for a popular sound card and did NOT see any place for front-case connections. Therefore I will assume they always connect to the MB. Kinda stinks cause I may have to buy pricier speakers. Maybe I may just switch back and forth back there?? Oh well. Any thoughts feel free to post. Otherwise take it easy, everybody.
blink.gif

Jan 14, 2005 at 2:23 AM Post #4 of 5
Your question is valid, however the answer is different, depending on which soundcard you get. Some support this, some (think Audigy) supply their own, some flat-out don't.

If you must have front-panel access, there are several casemod suppliers that provide "universal" front-output headers, but those just work with a pass-through cable, usually of craptacular quality. In that case, you're better off just getting a high-quality mini/mini extension cable and taping it to the case
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back