From ultra open to closed, suggestions?
Jun 13, 2019 at 12:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

progo

Headphoneus Supremus
After a decade of ultra open sound, looking for well isolating closed cans. AKG K1000 has been my poison for a decade now, not having desires for anything better. Just love the sound presentation, effortless treble, great dynamics, all that. But the ultra openness presents difficulties at times, as most of you probably know very well.

Big factors I need:

* as said, decent isolation from occasional outside noise
* great highs and upper mids. I don't want that typical closed-can rolloff
* bass mustn't boom.

Other desirable aspects:

* superb dynamics. I don't believe anything will beat K1000 in this regard but
* fun factor; perhaps musicality over clinicality?

Let's ignore the budget for now. I could look into downgrading my gear, or get something sturdy and nice that lasts for the next decade.

My first instinct for some reason is to go Ultrasone. The problem is that I don't have a distributor nearby so I can't check them out before purchase. Also they weren't very popular back when I last was active in this site some time in 2007 or so.

Fostex (TH-X00, TH-900) seems really interesting but I researched they aren't very isolating so sadly let's skip it.

Sony has apparently made a comeback with closed-back headphones but I haven't delved into the research on them yet.

In theory to solve the isolation thing once and for all, custom IEMs could be something. I just don't know if they are that comfy if I had to take them in and out often during the day. Also not sure what sort of issues there could be with the molds.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #2 of 9
Wandering around, seems like Mr Speakers AEON Flow Closed is a perfect match. Bass is not overpowered, decent isolation, great highs. Will be reading more about these.

Of course, no local distribution for these either. But they're half of the price of the Ultrasones that I previously was interested in.

Jun 14, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #3 of 9
I have been up the closed can chain, in an office location where I did not want to use open cans. I have Ether Flow, Focal Utopia and both the SR009 and MrSpeakers Voce open electrostatic headphones, so I have almost always been an open can person too.

In the closed camp, I have used AT ESW9JPN, but don't end up liking an on ear headphone due to glasses wear and lack of comfort. At this desktop I started with a V-Moda headphone, but it felt constrained compared to my other systems. On the top 10 board at Innerfidelity was the Shure closed headphone. It was pretty good, and I have used it for a bit. The Focal Elegia was another one I have been looking at of late. It went on sale for $700 in a couple of sites, and I pulled the trigger. I got the balanced cable for it last night, and am listening to it currently.

Computer - Qobuz - CEntrance HiFi M8 - GraveDigger 4 pin balanced cable - Elegia.

The sound is great. No bass bloat, and the sound is very delicate, with good highs to me (60 year old ears, YMMV). Clear and delicate are the first adjectives that came to mind. Enough isolation, but with music off I can hear people talking. Medium volume, I can hear louder noises.

I'm ecstatic with this purchase.

Jun 14, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #4 of 9
If the isolation is at the top of the requirements list,
I can confirm that the Fostex TH-900 are not ideal.

I would throw the Beyerdynamic T5P (2nd Gen)
in the ring as they are better isolated and could possible meet your taste of sound (2nd Gen is better in bass which is also the current model).
If you have the chance, test them if they meet your expectations.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #5 of 9
I would throw the Beyerdynamic T5P (2nd Gen)
in the ring as they are better isolated and could possible meet your taste of sound (2nd Gen is better in bass which is also the current model).
If you have the chance, test them if they meet your expectations.
T5p ... yes. This is one can I have access to, can give a listen.

Have you by chance listened to Ultrasone Editions 7, 8? Supposedly they're very good at isolation.

It's funny many reviews say that AFC isolate very well and T5p on the other hand is only adequate. I suspect it's not that simple because AFC are home headphones and T5p can be used on the go; the environments probably differ.

Jun 14, 2019 at 1:41 PM Post #7 of 9
Have you by chance listened to Ultrasone Editions 7, 8? Supposedly they're very good at isolation.

Unfortunately i havn't listen to them up to now, but i read similar statements about the isolation.

As the base sound level of the environment can bias the evaluation, statements regarding portable gear should be put in the right context. A noisy plane is obviously different than a quit home. :wink:

Jun 15, 2019 at 3:41 AM Post #8 of 9
Add focal elegia/Stellia to the list. I have had the t5p (good) and own Stellia now (great).
Focal is better at blocking outside sound and sounds superb.
Oh yes, Focal Elegia could be something. Thanks for recommendation. Stellia falls outside my immediate budget :)

Jun 27, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #9 of 9
So I finally gave in and went to a store to give a listen. I took a 36hr+ break from my main rig to get used to 'inferior' sound before auditioning.

Well, there was little need. Denon D9200 and Focal Elegia both sound very wonderfully bright and excellent headphones. Closed cans sure have come a long way! The amp solution used was Hugo 2 which probably helped a good deal wrt dynamics.

I went in there wanting to buy the D9200 but in the end Elegia offered a more balanced sound for half the money, this in addition to one of the main criteria, better isolation. To my surprise, D9200 has a very boomy bass (in contrast to the stories I read about it). They both are nice and bright cans but the Denon's spike in treble is clearly audible. Surely it's something I could get used to. Elegia in turn has a lean bass -- I can't but wonder if K1000 having the advantages of open-back design beats them both in bass department, given appropriate material? K1000 has a quick roll-off, sure, but what you get is tight and wonderfully natural sounding.

In the end of my brief survey I 'knew' right away that Elegia being half the money and more balanced performer, not to mention its comfort and isolation, was the right call. Yet I wonder if I should have given the D9200 another chance. It has a better sense of rhythm, had snappy transitions and remade Moby's Mistake all new and direct experience.

Not to mention the big thing in all this is that while Elegia isolates a bit more, it isn't isolating at the level I thought it was. As a result, I wonder what did I gain with this move. Hm!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back