From Trash to Treasure
Apr 26, 2010 at 12:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Bilavideo

Caution: Incomplete trades.
I just bought some HD800s, which are terrific, but having big helmet headphones (worth more than my car) just reminded me of the need for some cheap knockaround earphones - like the JVC Marshmallows.

But everybody knows these earphones suck. They're $20 worth of boom-boom-boom, with a muddy presentation that buries all the detail in that sickening boom, boom, boom.

I'd been down this road before, and had fixed my woes by simply adjusting the EQ on my iPod. "Acoustic" and "Treble Boost" provided me quick relief, opening things up nicely. I'd always wondered, though, if these cheapos could be improved upon with a little home engineering.

Well, they can.

Today, I bought another pair of these, heard the familiar boom-boom-boom, EQ'd them to "Treble Boost" and wondered if I could do better than boom-tweet-boom-tweet-boom-tweet.

I tore out the white filter in the front, which opened up the HF. Unfortunately, it also turned these suckers into harsh little monsters with a boom-boom-boom that now went up the midrange. Yuck!

I'd noticed, in tweaking some $20 Kosses (as well as some $79 SR-60s) that filters are sometimes applied to hide the acoustical weaknesses of the shells. In this instance, the white filters were apparently damping the horrid acoustics of a plastic tube, wrapped in a rubber sheath. Why not, then, remove the plastic tube? Because that plastic tube is what the little foam cushions attach to.

Not anymore. With a pair of kitchen scissors, I cut the tubes off, revealing the speaker grill esconced within. What a joke that JVC created this assembly to market something that "looks" like an earphone, even if its engineering ruins the sound.

Without a decent seal, you've got nothing but a pair of tiny, harsh, speakers, so I superglued a pair of Shure olives to the now-flat grill-face of the Marshmallows.

The result?

Depending on the seal you get, it's trash or treasure. With the right seal, these Marshmallows are amazing. I wouldn't put them up there with the best multi-driver IEMs - or even the Sennheiser IE7/8 - but for $20, hold onto your seat! They're in my ears, throbbing as before, but now the HF is unleashed and the balance is so much better.

On Feist's 1234, I can hear the slight feedback of the vocal mic. I can hear the fret changes, on both the guitar and banjo. On Styx's Borrowed Time, I can hear that little bit of sparkle on the lead guitar as it duels with the keyboard in the intro. On The Clash's Brand New Cadillac, the bass is still thumping but now it doesn't bury those screaming lead-guitar riffs. On Plies' Runnin' My Momma Crazy that thudding club-rocking bass no longer buries the piano work. On Buffalo Springfield's For What It's Worth, you can hear the buzz on that lower E string.

On the other hand, finding the sweet spot takes a little more work. Push too far and you mute the sound. If you don't press far enough, you don't get a decent seal and you get bass lite and more mids than you know what to do with.

In one of my little experiments, I went completely without any cushions, which is less comfortable but it let me push the drivers farther into my ear canals. To my surprise, I got a little taste of what we cushion-bearing universal wearers must be missing by not going custom. The effect of plastic against the walls of my ear canal was amazing. Talk about bone conduction! I see (or hear) what our friends are talking about. If you could match your ear canal with a hard, plastic groove tube, you'd get amazing bone conduction. The percussion would come alive. The cushions damp this dynamic conduit. I can see, now, how it's a compromise that asks too much.

If your budget is zilch, you might consider purchasing some cheap Marshmallows (a $20 investment) and removing all of the impediments built around the original drivers. It's amazing that JVC has done such a great job of destroying the sonic worthiness of these drivers. If you're feeling adventurous, however, you could turn trash into treasure. I'm not saying the end result will give you thousand-dollar ear cans, but if you do it right, you'll end up with something that sounds a lot better than $20 dollars' worth.

Apr 26, 2010 at 12:57 AM Post #2 of 6
Maybe a few pics would help make this mod more understandable and repeatable for other owners? Very entertaining read though!

Apr 26, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #3 of 6
Makes sense. I mean the drivers are probably a generic design which is (shocker I know) designed to replicate sound somewhat faithfully. It won't beat specially engineered super-drivers but you might get something on par with the M9 with enough modification.

Apr 26, 2010 at 1:40 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe a few pics would help make this mod more understandable and repeatable for other owners? Very entertaining read though!

X2!
While staying with my stock Sansa buds, until I can figure out with more precision just WHAT IEM I would really prefer...I stepped into Big Lots yesterday and picked up the Marshmallows up for $10. In part I wanted to see just how my ears would take to the presence of an IEM. Also, to modify...just to toy around with and see what could be done. So, I was VERY happen to see this today!

FWIW, my left ear is fine with the MM, but I have to twist it something fierce and deep until I can actually HEAR any bass and that's with the EQ tweaked up a couple of notches. My right ear...well, whatever angle I might try, it hurts...even narrow insertion. I almost think my right ear canal must be formed oddly - it's almost like the hard part of the earphone is against a sensitive part of my ear. This might make me eschew IEM's altogether, or at least spending $$$ on one.

As is, the stock Sansa buds are MUCH better than the MM's for both sound and comfort.

Apr 26, 2010 at 4:33 AM Post #6 of 6
PICTURES

I can't give you any pics of what I'd done when I wrote the original post because I just kept going. This is where things are at the moment:
bilavideo-albums-jvc-marshmallows-unveiled-picture5389-photo-2010-04-26-00-21-2.jpg

By this point, I've gotten rid of the rest of the shell and just have a cushion superglued to the driver.
bilavideo-albums-jvc-marshmallows-unveiled-picture5390-photo-2010-04-26-00-24.jpg

This is a picture of the actual driver. As you can see, it's really tiny. I doubt it costs much as a driver. This is a work in progress. I'll update what I've done once I've finished.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back