From the headphone out: Ipod 5.5 Gen or Ipod Classic 6 Gen?
Oct 14, 2010 at 10:34 AM Post #16 of 22

Quote:
Don't know where in the world you're ordering from, but since I'm in the EU (Denmark [insert rant about the worlds highest tax pressure here]) I'm ordering from a bloke called "ipodsteve" on Ebay.co.uk. Never dealt with him before, but 254 ipods sold, 100% positive feedback should be a sign that he's not a total scammer. Have emailed him back and forth and he seems like a really nice guy, even loaded Rockbox 3.6 for me so it's ready to roll as soon as I get it. But your post has me worried... My iPod was apparently born as a 30 gig model but he has installed a slim 120gb drive. Can't really make out if the logic board is new with 64mb ram or I'm getting 32mb of ram for handling 100+gigs of flac... How do I check that once I receive it?

I really don't know how you could check it. Maybe Hero Kid can answer that... I'm from Istanbul, Turkey btw...

Oct 14, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #17 of 22
The Rockbox eq is excellent, however, I have yet to do extensive testing with the EQ and my UM3X. I will do some more listening, but I never planned on using the HP out (i will be using an arrow 12He) so the eq would not affect me.

Oct 17, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #18 of 22
So I got my rockboxed 5.5 gen yesterday and I love it! The fact that you just drag and drop your music files is almost reason enough on its own to go with the 5.5 gen, but when you load it up with flac it's just gorgeous. No hiss at all using my UE Super.Fi 5vi and a very detailed sound. Wasnt able to do A/B testing with my friends 6th gen ipod classic using the same 320kbps files so I really can't elaborate in great detail on the sonic differences between the Wolfson chips in the 5.5 and the cirrus parts in the 6th gen pod, but the difference between 320kbps mp3 on the 6th gen and flac on the 5.5 is definetely there. More detail, better instrument separation, it's all there, even unamped through the UE 5's. If you have your music ripped to flac, it's pretty much a no-brainer, get the 5.5
smily_headphones1.gif

Big thumbs up to "ipodsteve" on ebay.co.uk btw, great guy selling lovingly refurbished 'pods
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 17, 2010 at 2:35 PM Post #19 of 22

Quote:
So I got my rockboxed 5.5 gen yesterday and I love it! The fact that you just drag and drop your music files is almost reason enough on its own to go with the 5.5 gen, but when you load it up with flac it's just gorgeous. No hiss at all using my UE Super.Fi 5vi and a very detailed sound. Wasnt able to do A/B testing with my friends 6th gen ipod classic using the same 320kbps files so I really can't elaborate in great detail on the sonic differences between the Wolfson chips in the 5.5 and the cirrus parts in the 6th gen pod, but the difference between 320kbps mp3 on the 6th gen and flac on the 5.5 is definetely there. More detail, better instrument separation, it's all there, even unamped through the UE 5's. If you have your music ripped to flac, it's pretty much a no-brainer, get the 5.5
smily_headphones1.gif

Big thumbs up to "ipodsteve" on ebay.co.uk btw, great guy selling lovingly refurbished 'pods
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm glad to hear you found it to your liking. I'm still waiting/reading to be able to make the wisest decision. So if you find the time to A/B the 5.5 and 6th using the same tracks I'd really be glad to hear your impressions and you can be sure it'll be of very much help!

Oct 18, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #20 of 22

My iPod Classic-toting friend is a student so if I call him and offer a home-cooked meal if he brings his iPod I'm sure I'll be able to A/B the two pods soon
smily_headphones1.gif

Any musical preferences? My personal fave tracks for testing are "Take The Power Back" by Rage Against the Machine (testing bass punchyness - if that's even a word?) and "No Need To Argue" by The Cranberries to test the highs and details. I have both on CD so I can rip them in whatever quality and format I like. Currently 320kbps mp3 and flac are on tap
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

I'm glad to hear you found it to your liking. I'm still waiting/reading to be able to make the wisest decision. So if you find the time to A/B the 5.5 and 6th using the same tracks I'd really be glad to hear your impressions and you can be sure it'll be of very much help!

Oct 18, 2010 at 3:58 AM Post #21 of 22
Let me just add one thing: I can't believe how silent the ipod 5.5 is with my UE's. Between tracks it's just pitch black dead silence. No hiss, no static, nothing. Impressive.

Dec 12, 2010 at 5:18 PM Post #22 of 22

Hero Kid said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Of course it's subjective but I prefer the 5.5g to the 6th gen I auditioned. For me the most noticeable thing was the fullness of bass with the 5.5g.
Just so you understand, Rockbox doesn't make a player magically sound better. But what it does give you is a great parametric EQ, which poops all over the default iPod EQ.

When you add up all the advantages of Rockbox, for me it's reason alone to go for the 5.5g over any new iPod.

Thanks for your explanation! Now I understand more about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back