From SR60 to RS1 , what i can get ?
Sep 24, 2005 at 9:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

fatko

500+ Head-Fier
although it is a silly question to compare the high-end to low-end

but , any people has actually compare these two cans?

Sep 24, 2005 at 9:52 PM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatko
although it is a silly question to compare the high-end to low-end

but , any people has actually compare these two cans?

It's not silly. This is exactly what I did a few years back. I've owned the SR-60 for five years before I got the RS-1, enjoying it immensely with a Cary 300sei. When I got the RS-1, I was bowled over, at first, by how much better resolution I'm getting. Over time, however, I found myself listening to headphones less and less since I wasn't getting the same amount of enjoyment I did with the cheaper Grados. In fact, I'm getting pain from inside my ears. I eventually sold the RS-1, and the Cary a couple of years later (although I wish I had it back now that I have MS-2's and soon, HF-1's).

Thinking back now, I believe there were a couple of reasons that made me get rid of the RS-1. The partner with the Cary is less than synergistic. I heard the RS-1 later with a Grado RA-1 driving them. That combination, to me, sounded better. Also, I wish I knew about reversing the bowl pads back then. A lot of my grief with the RS-1 is probably attributable to that.

All in all, the RS-1s are worth it, I think, but make sure you audition them with your amp.

Sep 25, 2005 at 1:21 AM Post #3 of 12
I have compared the SR-125 vs. the RS-1 both fully burned in. To me the clarity and definition of the RS-1 is where it truly outshines the lesser Grados. It also seems to me that you can actually hear notes rather than a "soup" of notes. I am new to this hobby so I may not be using the right words
confused.gif

Sep 25, 2005 at 1:39 AM Post #4 of 12
My path has so fr been the SR60 >> SR80 >> SR325i >> RS1. The RS1 adds a whole new dimension to the music by adding depth and soundstage. As you are a SR60 user, here is what I think you will get with the RS1.

1. When you are listening to the SR60, add more depth to the music. Imagine more instrument seperation and you can will experience beter layering with the instruments, i.e. the drums will be behind, the guitar will be forward etc.

2. A more rounded sound. Music will all be more rounded and more musical.

3 The Bass will be punchy with a lot of depth. You will need quite some burn in for the tight Grado Bass to kick in.

4. My fav - More decay delay. The RS1 is almost good for music like Pink Floyd which require some note decay delay to enjoy. I did not at all like Floyd with the SR60, but with the RS1, its much more enjoyable. The Senns. I feel will be ideal for this task.

Many more things the RS1 adds to the SR60. It also strips off the pure foot tapping fun of the SR60 because it is not so immediate. But after a while with the RS1, you will love this presentation and will settle for nothing less
smily_headphones1.gif

Save up and go for the big fish. At $695 the RS1 is not worth it. If you get one for $550 and lesser, its worth it. Also eventually you will end up upgrading to the RS1, so just go for it when you can.

Sep 25, 2005 at 1:42 AM Post #5 of 12
I went from the 225 to the 325i to the RS-1. To me the 225s were great, but they lacked a little in range. The 325i's fixed this, especially in the bass dept but they were a little bright a ruthlessly revealing when it came it music that wasn't perfectly mastered. The RS-1s have the range and still maintain a good level of detail without making my garage band albums sound terrible. To me they're the best rock-n-roll headphones I've tried and definitely worth the price over other Grados.

Sep 25, 2005 at 2:16 AM Post #6 of 12
I bought a pair of SR-60 about a month after I purchased RS-1, why? I wanted the Grado sound on the go! The main difference between the two is the liquidity of the sound: SR-60 being sharp, and boomy at times, RS-1 is smooth and very enjoyable over a longer period time.

Overlunge

Sep 25, 2005 at 12:36 PM Post #8 of 12
It really depends on the source and the amp.

Sep 25, 2005 at 2:00 PM Post #9 of 12
You will get:
1. an extension cord
2. an 1/4 to 1/8 conversion plug
from the upgrade
biggrin.gif

I think if you are really considering the high end phones from Grado, you should go straight to RS1 as many has suggested. Get a used pair, it is the most cost effective way.

Cheers,

Sep 25, 2005 at 3:17 PM Post #10 of 12
I actually think if you buy an amp too, a place like Audio Advisor will give you a sweet deal (around 600 new).

I went right for the RS-1's though I did demo the SR-80s, 225s, and RS-2's before buying. If you love the Grado sound, go straight for the RS-1s, you won't be disappointed and the differences will be obvious (tighter bass, more detail in the hi's, and overall, more tonally balanced).

I also bought the HF-1's to take to work! (however, in some working environments an open-aired headphone is not optimal due to noise leakage!).

Trogdor

Sep 25, 2005 at 5:56 PM Post #11 of 12
If I had it all to do over again, I'd have gone straight for the RS-1 too. Going right to the top would definitely save you some money over multiple upgrades. You can put the extra scratch toward a good amp and you'll really enjoy your rig.

Oct 13, 2005 at 8:47 PM Post #12 of 12
i am trying out which kind of sounds i love most.

i try AKG 240S, SR60, and AD2000 (sorry they are not from the same price range)

but i really find that SR60 sticks on my ears for the longest time.

i think i am going to sell all my gears out and just get a RS1 or MPRO

but now, i want to know which one is more suitable for me, RS1 or MPRO...
i understand this topic is just like a FAQ session , ...but anyone can give me some hints ....please
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back