From Sony Ex Series to Sennheiser IE8s?
Feb 29, 2012 at 12:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

lemon2

Head-Fier
Hi,

If I really like the sound signature of the Sony EX series, am I likely to like the Sennheiser IE8s? (I am considering them for their bass and soundstage.)

Feb 29, 2012 at 7:44 AM Post #2 of 11
I own the EX-600 and IE8, and I would not say the IE8 is a definite upgrade. The Senn are warmer, and have a much thicker lower midrange compared to the Sony.
There is probably more bass quantity on the IE8, but as far as quality goes, I think I would give the nod to the Sony. However, it really depends what you're after. The Sennheiser is slightly softer, but also more organic and has more weight to it.
Regarding soundstage, I would not say that one is better than the other. There is however more air in the Sony's presentation.

Feb 29, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #3 of 11
I also own both and agree with Photofan1986, that's a great comparison.  I did not like the EX600s at first but a week later I am considering selling my IE8s and they have been my favorite IEMS for 2+ years.

Cost is another factor, I paid 2X as much for my IE8s ($270) as the EX600 ($130).

To answer your question though, yes you will probably like them.

Feb 29, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #4 of 11
I own both.  I like both.  Honestly the IE8 is my preference, but a lot of that has to do with the fit / design of the EX600.  If the EX600 had a lower profile and was more comfortable it may get more time on my head.  Also, for very many years all I ever had was Sennheisers, so their sound is something I'm used to at this point and probably factors into why I prefer one over the other.

I suppose I'd agree with the previous posters who state that its not a definite upgrade, its nice though, and different.

Feb 29, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #5 of 11
The IE8 is a downgrade, it's midbass is just too big, it compromises the midrange. Also because of the bass weight, transients are slower and imaging suffers. The IE8 does have a more refines treble, but its also clouded by the bass.

Ergonomically I prefer the IE8, but it's got worse isolation considering it sounds better with a shallow seal.

Feb 29, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #6 of 11
I have both the EX600 and IE80. While I enjoy both, the IE80 is my preference due to:

1. comfy
2. non-fatiguing sound for extended long hrs of music
3. more refined treble and clarity
4. more natural and genuine sounding

I love the crystal-clear and airy sounding of the EX600. Treble is a little bit grainy. Hey I can't complain considering how capable the EX600 is for the price I paid.

Feb 29, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #8 of 11
The only dynamic EX600 upgrades imo are the 7550, EX1000 and possibly RE272 (haven't heard it). On par, perhaps the RE262 and GR07. 

Feb 29, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #9 of 11
I have owned IE80 and enjoyed them. They are very comfortable and due to their design, it's easy to fall asleep with them on, even while lying on your side.

I just received ex1000 yesterday and there is no question, the ex1000 is the better phone in terms of SQ. I do find them comfortable as well.

To my ears, the IE80 does have a degree of mid bass hump. This bass can interfere with vocals and highs depending on the track. I do like the warmth that the Sony's don't have.

I can see owning and enjoying both.

Feb 29, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #10 of 11
That ^ sounds very sound (no pun intended). Neutral=more resolution and detail=technically better. Sure there are preferences but setting a benchmarks allows oneself to rank technical aspects. 

Feb 29, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #11 of 11

Quote:
I have owned IE80 and enjoyed them. They are very comfortable and due to their design, it's easy to fall asleep with them on, even while lying on your side.

I just received ex1000 yesterday and there is no question, the ex1000 is the better phone in terms of SQ. I do find them comfortable as well.

To my ears, the IE80 does have a degree of mid bass hump. This bass can interfere with vocals and highs depending on the track. I do like the warmth that the Sony's don't have.

I can see owning and enjoying both.

Not to my ears. I tend to believe for the IE8's and IE80's the reported mid bass hump may be largely contributed by the "improper" tips. IMO the IE80's are excellent (let's not use perfect) for classical music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back