from Shure E4 to SRH440 or SRH840?
Feb 6, 2010 at 5:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

souladdikt

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for some full sized cans that have a similar sound signature to my Shure E4's. I listen to jazz and jazzy/alternative hip hop and I've been really happy with the E4's for these genres. I've had these IEM's for a few years now and have not been bitten by the upgraditis bug--they sound good to me and I enjoy them, so why change right?

My reason for getting some full sized cans is because the IEM's are starting to show some wear and tear, so I'd really like to relegate them to portable use. I figured a good place to start was with the SRH440 or SRH840, but I'm having a hard time deciding. The reviews I've read seem to indicate the SRH840 are great for jazz, but I'm reading different opinions on how these would do unamped. Currently I use a 5G ipod with LOD and FiiO E5 on the go and a macbook pro at home.

My question I guess is: with my current setup, and for the the genres of music I listen to, would it be worth the $50-60 extra for the SRH840s?

As i mentioned, I'm not one to upgrade often so I'm just looking to get the best headphone for my purposes and leave my wallet in peace. Thanks in advance.

Feb 6, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #2 of 6
I just received my 840's yesterday; I considered the 440's as well but decided to spend the extra $$ since I don't plan to upgrade again anytime soon. I'm currently using an un-amped Macbook Pro as my source and they sound fantastic. Spent a couple of hours listening to Miles Davis and Coltrane last night and really enjoyed it. From what everyone here is saying it sounds like they'll get even better after some burn-in, and while I think and amp might be a nice addition I don't think it's at all "required" like it would be for some of the other high-end 'phones.

Feb 6, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #4 of 6
Get the 840s if you are not very particular about portability.

I use a SRH840 unamped with an iPod and it sounds great. To me personally it was worth the extra $$ from 440 'cos after sometime I can get an amp and get it's full worth.

good luck.

Feb 6, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #5 of 6
Thanks everyone. I think I'm going for the SRH840 then--I like the idea of adding an amp sometime down the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back