From Portable to Computer
Nov 18, 2011 at 5:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

FlatNine

500+ Head-Fier
I have a fairly decent portable setup (see sig) and have been thinking about utilizing my PC's sound capabilities a little more. My main PC has a Soundblaster Audigy in it. It is about 3 years old. I vaguely remember paying more for the best sound card offered with this box at the time. Then I kind of forgot it was even in there. Is the Audigy a good card? I currently have the SB output going to a low quality stereo amp (Sherwood) to a pair of RadioShack Optimus speakers. I'm thinking I could take the SB out, send it through my TTVJ Slim, and into my Senns and be happy. (My TTVJ does not have the DAC, but I would be using the DAC on the SB, which I'm hoping is a good one) Any suggestions?

Nov 20, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #2 of 7
In a word, I'd say no. I think it's time for an upgrade on the sound card, buddy. IMO, you should spring for an Asus Xonar Essence STX, and bypass your portable rig all together.

Nov 20, 2011 at 3:01 AM Post #3 of 7
I am sort of interested in this topic as well.  Would it be wise to just grab an inexpensive external DAC and use it along with the portable amp that he already has?  I am not too familiar with USB DACs but I assume finding one better than the Audigy shouldn't be too hard or expensive and the TTVJ should drive the 650s pretty well. 

Nov 20, 2011 at 9:52 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:
In a word, I'd say no. I think it's time for an upgrade on the sound card, buddy. IMO, you should spring for an Asus Xonar Essence STX, and bypass your portable rig all together.

Thanks for the tip. Since so much of my time is spent at a PC (I'm a software developer) I don't know why my portable is my main source. That card looks great, and I like the fact that it can drive my Senns directly.

Nov 20, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
I am sort of interested in this topic as well.  Would it be wise to just grab an inexpensive external DAC and use it along with the portable amp that he already has?  I am not too familiar with USB DACs but I assume finding one better than the Audigy shouldn't be too hard or expensive and the TTVJ should drive the 650s pretty well. 

I think I'm starting to regret not getting the DAC on my TTVJ....

Nov 20, 2011 at 11:51 AM Post #6 of 7

Quote:
I think I'm starting to regret not getting the DAC on my TTVJ....

I feel the same way after purchasing my Stepdance.  However, I am probably going to grab a used HRT Streamer II so I can at least make use of my portable amp. 

Nov 20, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #7 of 7
My computer does not use a sound card. I use the on board sound with an Mini3 seems to power my sennheiser HD 205's pretty well when I'm not using headphones I have an old pair of Altec Lansing  speakers they sound better then the one's made today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back